Register to Comment
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    We don't just jail people in the hope that prison might reform them, but to show their victims that society takes their crime seriously,-- seriously enough to punish the perpetrator with incarceration. So that the victim, the wronged party, can feel that they have got justice.

I am surprised that there is not outrage over this lenient sentence.

The abuse of a public representative in a democracy.... The death threats... The mention of a specific make of gun and the claim to be engaging in target practice...."I was training at the weekend to make sure my aim is at its peak".... The sinister claim of being close by the victim while remaining invisible... "I passed you in the street. I'm so close it's unreal"... The shocking and disgusting detail.. ".. Fill your rat's mouth full of lead"... "bleed like a river," etc

He showed no remorse and continued with his contemptuous remarks in a most matter-of-fact way after the verdict, insisting that his victim was merely seeking attention.

Asked if he took the complaint seriously after walking free "No not really. She'd do anything to get herself in the paper"

It was as if, because his victim was a politician, normal human decency could safely be abandoned. A politician, it seems, is not a normal human being, and any fear she claims to have experienced, was just attention seeking.

Views, alas, that have been expressed on this site in different contexts.
    Indeed. It seems that most TD's are on the receiving end of this on a spectrum of which this is the very worst example. It would be interesting to see an analysis of the volume and level of vitriol directed at public representatives broken down on gender lines.

Personally I'm not in favour of gender quotas, however, one of the arguments often put forward by those who are is that there are many invisible barriers to women running for public office. I wonder if the perception that this kind of treatment (albeit on a less severe level i.e. without the death threats) is commonplace and/or accepted as part of the job is one of them?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Troll Who Threatened Senator Lorraine Higgins Receives Suspended Sentence. Good or bad Verdict?

i'm no fan of Lorraine Higgins or her Labour Party,
    but the geezer deserved jail

People who carry out acts of violence don't get jailed.

I'd rather the threats tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Yes, it was used in his defence but there is no mention of court ordered therapy. You would think that if it is used as a way to avoid a custodial sentence that there would be conditions such as this attached. He seemed to show little remorse, it appears as if suspending the sentence won't have done much good or acted as a deterrent.
    Maybe we should have a Trolling registrar, like the Sex offenders registrar.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Indeed. It seems that most TD's are on the receiving end of this on a spectrum of which this is the very worst example. It would be interesting to see an analysis of the volume and level of vitriol directed at public representatives broken down on gender lines.

Personally I'm not in favour of gender quotas, however, one of the arguments often put forward by those who are is that there are many invisible barriers to women running for public office. I wonder if the perception that this kind of treatment (albeit on a less severe level i.e. without the death threats) is commonplace and/or accepted as part of the job is one of them?
    There is a real streak of misogyny in the tone of what this guy wrote

Of course it could make women think again about public life.

It would certainly make me think again

I take normal robust attacks on the chin, but I can tell you I would have been terrified in Higgins's shoes.

The thought that this loon was out there somewhere threatening you with a rifle... The hatred expressed... The sinister "I know where you are. I'm close by" stuff...

A price has to be put on that level of fear and trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post

That might appear to be the case at first glance.

But holding someone in mortal fear can almost be worse than the crime.....

Waiting for the worst... Anticipating it... Thinking somebody (who? Where is he? Is it someone I know? When will it happen? ) is out there planning to kill you,.... is relishing, it... savouring the thought of you bleeding to death and fantasising about it...

It is mental torture

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    That might appear to be the case at first glance.

But holding someone in mortal fear can almost be worse than the crime.....

Waiting for the worst... Anticipating it... Thinking somebody (who? Where is he? Is it someone I know? When will it happen? ) is out there planning to kill you

It is mental torture
    Plenty of people don't go to jail, for many things worse than this. Just because she's a politician.......

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post

If he'd carried out the acts he suggested they'd have locked him up and thrown away the key. The thing is they're only just threats until they're not and you wouldn't know the difference until it was too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mangaire1 View Post
    Troll Who Threatened Senator Lorraine Higgins Receives Suspended Sentence. Good or bad Verdict?

i'm no fan of Lorraine Higgins or her Labour Party,
    but the geezer deserved jail
    My thoughts exactly.

His post trial comments should be sufficient to see his suspended sentence triggered.

Absolute fcking mentalist. Should have been locked up straight away.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment