Register to Comment
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I’d view that as an outlier until shown otherwise. 41% of over 65s being in favour of it sounds...odd.
    Here are the figures per age group - it excludes don't knows:

18-24 85% to 15%
    25-34 77% to 23%
    35-44 69% to 31%
    45-54 75%to 25%
    55-64 61% to 39%
    65+ 51% to 49% only group not in favour of Repeal, but just barely

Also odd is that the 45-54 age group is strong that the age group above and below. There must be a reason for this. Something that happened to that age group. Anyone with any ideas.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    It's a choice we'll all be asked to make... and to live and die with the consequences of our action.

How fitting that such a poll would be announced on the day after we recall the mass slaughter of innocent children.
    You do understand that the more you vent this bile the more likely the 8th will go?

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    You do understand that the more you vent this bile the more likely the 8th will go?
    Your concern is touching.

If there's something incorrect in my posts then point it out.

A referendum should be put to the people why isn't that being done and I don't mean repeal i mean an actual referendum whether to introduce abortion into Ireland or not repeal solves nothing it doesn't get to the heart of the issue which is abortion and whether the majority support it or not how is anyone to know when its being ignored.

A lot of referendums that were expected to pass failed because the dks voted against. Could be close.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    A referendum should be put to the people why isn't that being done and I don't mean repeal i mean an actual referendum whether to introduce abortion into Ireland or not repeal solves nothing it doesn't get to the heart of the issue which is abortion and whether the majority support it or not how is anyone to know when its being ignored.
    The vote is going to be to repeal or not. With abortion legislation drafted in advance. Not sure what your issue is on this. We all know that if the 8th goes abortion will be brought in.

And abortion already exists in Ireland. With 2000 women taking abortion pills, with abortion in life or suicide cases. And it also exists for the 10 Irish women who avail of their constitution right to travel for abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Referenda in Ireland are always about putting in or taking out amendments to the constitution. They are not opinion polls like the Brexit referendum in Britain.

I don’t like telephone polls.
    But including “rather not say” redeems that slightly (they are more likely to be anti-choice).

The main problem is the question:
    “If a referendum were held to repeal the 8th amendment that is to make abortion unrestricted during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy how would you vote?"”

The actual question will go far beyond that eg removing people’s veto on abortion, allowing parliament and courts (domestic and European) expand, with categories beyond 12 weeks eg rape allegations (which will scare some men) and possibly dealing with women’s health (basically 1967 act regime).

That 47% can’t support this narrow proposition is worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Davison View Post
    Here are the figures per age group - it excludes don't knows:

18-24 85% to 15%
    25-34 77% to 23%
    35-44 69% to 31%
    45-54 75%to 25%
    55-64 61% to 39%
    65+ 51% to 49% only group not in favour of Repeal, but just barely

Also odd is that the 45-54 age group is strong that the age group above and below. There must be a reason for this. Something that happened to that age group. Anyone with any ideas.
    My reading of the 45-54 age group, in which I myself am, would be that that demographic represented teenagers just about old enough to vote in the referendum on the original 8th Amendment, or younger. I recall a hard line taken in our Second level schools at the time. A reaction to that and the ensuing mess and confusion perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    A lot of referendums that were expected to pass failed because the dks voted against. Could be close.
    Name 5.

Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment