Register to Comment
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Stop being so naive. It's there to figure out what to replace the failed 8th with.
    Where in its remit does it say that?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ellie08 View Post
    Is their expert solicitor an expert in women's health? I very much doubt it!
    If he's a solicitor, his job is to be an expert in law. Do you not understand that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuaman View Post
    Renua have announced a protest outside the Dail to highlight the bias in the Oireachteas committee on Abortion. The Committee apparently has refused to listen to their expert, Solicitor Alan Daveran. Alan was closely involved in the Roche v Roche case that decided at what stage in the life of the unborn the protection of the 8th kicked in.
    Have they a point? With 27 pro choicers and only 4 pro lifers it certainly looks like a stitch up.
    Was he not a Renua candidate in the last election and was he not on the losing side of the Roche v Roche case.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    It looks like Renua are the only group prepared to protest a blatant affront to democracy.

All it takes to expose the shallowness of the "liberals" is a simple case of loading the dice in their favour.
    And yet, look at what happens when people who have been pro life for years, possibly decades, find themselves
    actually having to listen to the arguments, rather than just swallow the usual Iona-style propaganda they've been
    used to hearing:

A Fianna Fáil senator says he has changed his mind on abortion and is prepared to vote for a new “pro-women” law.
    Ned O’Sullivan said the “honour” of being a member of the Oireachtas committee considering the Eighth Amendment gave him access to information he did not have before. Mr O’Sullivan told The Times that he would support a law that puts a woman and her health first.

Mr O’Sullivan, who has previously described himself as “pro-life”, said that he had studied the evidence presented to the committee over the past three months very closely. “Thanks to the honour of being a member of the committee, I have had access to information that I did not have before,” Mr O’Sullivan said. “I am now coming at it from the perspective of being pro-women. I have had a gradual realisation that abortion is a matter for a woman’s health and wellbeing.”

Mr O’Sullivan, who has been a senator since 2007, said he ...took “grave exception” to claims that the committee was biased. “I have gone through a process of change . . . and while some people might have very strong views one way or the other, some of us have changed our minds,” Mr O’Sullivan said.

Several TDs and senators have cited medical evidence from the National Maternity Hospital, the Rotunda, the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and the World Health Organisation as their reason for supporting removing harsh criminal sanctions for those caught accessing an illegal abortion in Ireland.

The move, if supported by the Oireachtas, would mean that access to abortion is likely to still be restricted under time limits and circumstances but it would be regulated as a health issue rather than a criminal justice one.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...tion-86rqwx75x

Quote Originally Posted by artfoley56 View Post
    It will depend on the question being asked. but the silly buggers at committee and UCD haven't helped matters.

Who are the silly buggers at the committee?

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    And yet, look at what happens when people who have been pro life for years, possibly decades, find themselves
    actually having to listen to the arguments, rather than just swallow the usual Iona-style propaganda they've been
    used to hearing: Several TDs and senators have cited medical evidence from the National Maternity Hospital, the Rotunda, the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and the World Health Organisation as their reason for supporting removing harsh criminal sanctions for those caught accessing an illegal abortion in Ireland.

O yes that wonderful bastion of Human Rights the WHO that proposed Robert Mugabe as a Goodwill Ambassador the same day they lectured us all! Couldn't make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    I think this video presents a solid reason to vote no.

I particularly like the sex pictures, great bodies. Sex the root of all evil of course.

O yes that wonderful bastion of Human Rights the WHO that proposed Robert Mugabe as a Goodwill Ambassador the same day they lectured us all! Couldn't make it up.

Did the Renua stunt make it to the newspapers?

TOP medical expert says Abortion Committee a kangaroo court, declines invitation only issued AFTER the Committee voted to repeal the 8th
    A top medical expert has "regretfully refused" an invitation to appear before the Oireachtas Committee on the 8th Amendment saying that the proceeds were a "kangaroo court" and that the he would not be part of a "prejudiced process" that did not hear all the medical evidence. He added that he "hoped the Irish people will not be deceived by such theater. "

It is with great regret that I will be respectfully declining the invitation to offer testimony to the Committee. I will not partake in a charade which has already reached its preordained conclusion by offering testimony which some might be led to misinterpret as indicative of the Committee's deliberative objectivity. In reviewing the proceedings, testimony and transcripts from records on the Committee website one can only conclude that the Oireachtas Committee on the Eighth is a "kangaroo court”. As disturbing is that it appears most Committee members did not see the need for a fair hearing for such a momentous issue as the repeal of the Eighth Amendment, but were satisfied with the prejudiced process that took place. I hope that the Irish people will not be deceived by such theater.

MJ McCaffrey, MD CAPT USN (Ret)

Professor of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

Renua have announced...
    Who?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment