Register to Comment
Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Committee on the Eighth Amendment ‘skewed and unfair’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...fair-1.3254034

Ronan Mullen and Mattie McGrath don't like what they are hearing in the Committee . They have decided that it is "skewed and unfair".

it is worthwhile viewing the whole of the afternoon session of the Committee of 27th September

Committee Debate - Meeting of the Joint Committee on Eighth Amendment of the Constitution, Wednesday 27 September 2017 - Webcast Recording - Tithe an Oireachtais

if you cannot be bothered to watch the whole, go to 20:00:45 and watch Ronan Mullen.

He could not dispute any of the evidence put before the Committee , so he decided on ad hominem attacks.

I am a "pro-lifer" and one of the reasons that I am reluctant to admit to my position to my friends, is the weaselly "Ronan Mullen" types who jump on the pro-life wagon. For them conflict is better than reason or listening.

I believe in honest debate. I do not have "all the answers", I need to understand the "Pro-Choice " arguments. In order to do that I have to listen to what they say.

BTW

If you listen ,with an open mind, to the contributions of the three experts , some of their opinions support the position I favour.

Listen to the afternoon and make up your own mind.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by bactrian View Post
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...fair-1.3254034

Ronan Mullen and Mattie McGrath don't like what they are hearing in the Committee . They have decided that it is "skewed and unfair".

it is worthwhile viewing the whole of the afternoon session of the Committee of 27th September

Committee Debate - Meeting of the Joint Committee on Eighth Amendment of the Constitution, Wednesday 27 September 2017 - Webcast Recording - Tithe an Oireachtais

if you cannot be bothered to watch the whole, go to 20:00:45 and watch Ronan Mullen.

He could not dispute any of the evidence put before the Committee , so he decided on ad hominem attacks.

I am a "pro-lifer" and one of the reasons that I am reluctant to admit to my position to my friends, is the weaselly "Ronan Mullen" types who jump on the pro-life wagon. For them conflict is better than reason or listening.

I believe in honest debate. I do not have "all the answers", I need to understand the "Pro-Choice " arguments. In order to do that I have to listen to what they say.

BTW

If you listen ,with an open mind, to the contributions of the three experts , some of their opinions support the position I favour.

Listen to the afternoon and make up your own mind.
    What does that mean?

I don't agree. It's skewed and lopsided. And certainly not honest.

Yesterday it was acknowledged we are a safer country for pregnant women than either the UK or US. Irish people have been led to believe that's not the case hence the referendum. People think that what happened in Galway was because of the 8th. It wasn't.

These myths will not be dispelled. The language used is one where abortion is seen as a healthcare procedure. The international speakers pro abortion. The committee weighed heavily on the pro abortion side.

And Mattie and Mullen are ridiculed and dismissed. They should not be part of what is a farce.

The same Irish experts attending that the media rely on since 2012. Mostly pro abortion. That's not honest debate. For a debate two sides are heard equally.

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    The same Irish experts attending that the media rely on since 2012. Mostly pro abortion. That's not honest debate. For a debate two sides are heard equally.
    Most politicians are debating not whether the 8th should be abolished but how liberal can they be with their proposal to abolish it.

Yesterday it was acknowledged we are a safer country for pregnant women than either the UK or US. Irish people have been led to believe that's not the case hence the referendum. People think that what happened in Galway was because of the 8th. It wasn't.

These myths will not be dispelled. The language used is one where abortion is seen as a healthcare procedure. The international speakers pro abortion. The committee weighed heavily on the pro abortion side.

And Mattie and Mullen are ridiculed and dismissed. They should not be part of what is a farce.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I know nobody who is pro abortion but carry on with your bullsh!t.

It is a farce, window dressing for a decision already made, and they should resign from it. Let it at least be seen for what it is.

They claim that the majority of witnesses called before the committee are in favour of liberalising Ireland’s abortion regime.
    It's weird that in a world where nearly every country has more liberal abortion laws than Ireland, where the current Irish population consistently poll heavily in favour of liberalising the abortion regime and where the council of GPs have voted in favour of liberalisation that the majority of witnesses called are in favour of it. Super weird.

It would be really helpful if the TDs in question could identify some renowned practicing Irish OBGYNs who are pro-life who they feel have been refused a chance to speak to the committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

I know nobody who is pro abortion but carry on with your bullsh!t.
    You must lead a very sheltered life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It's weird that in a world where nearly every country has more liberal abortion laws than Ireland, where the current Irish population consistently poll heavily in favour of liberalising the abortion regime and where the council of GPs have voted in favour of liberalisation that the majority of witnesses called are in favour of it. Super weird.

It would be really helpful if the TDs in question could identify some renowned practicing Irish OBGYNs who are pro-life who they feel have been refused a chance to speak to the committee.
    There's no logic there at all.
    If the arguments are to be put & judged of the basis of how "popular" abortion is in the rest of the western world, just go ahead and do it now, why bother with a committee & hearings at all?

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Most politicians are debating not whether the 8th should be abolished but how liberal can they be with their proposal to abolish it.
    Yep. They've jumped the gun too.

Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment