Register to Comment
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Like Tree203Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Anyone who has a vote should vote, it's a hard won right #votesforwomen
    So presumably you'll be for an early referendum, in May or so, before students might head abroad for a summer job or whatever?
    So that as many as possible of those likely to be directly affected get a say?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ellie08 View Post
    I don't think I will vote in this referendum. I feel very conflicted by it. I know my thoughts on it, but I am swayed by certain arguments.
    I can understand people being conflicted on the issue of abortion, but there have been all sorts of human rights abuses that are happening because of the 8th - a young girl sent to a mental hospital for asking for an abortion on grounds of suicidal thoughts (something psychiatrists denied would happen), not to mention Ms Y as well as all the cases of women being threatened with arrest if they don't "consent" to C-Sections or ARM or other procedures that are not even best procedures, merely the ones that suit the medical staff best.

And of course Irish women continue going to the UK perfectly legally for abortions, so it's not as though the ban is even terribly effective at what it aimed to do.

So given all that, I can't really see how it could be conceivable to leave things as they are. The 8th has been a disaster, and more so, I think, for women who didn't actually want an abortion in the first place than for those who just want to end an unwanted pregnancy. Most of those just order abortion pills or go abroad, it's just more complicated and an extra expense to them, but not fundamentally impossible.

So it's only the few like underage girls and those who can't travel who are really in difficulty there. Whereas someone who falls ill while pregnant, and can't travel, is at the mercy of whatever hospital she finds herself in. If it's run by some religious bigot, she's in trouble.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment