Register to Comment
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    I'd like to see a balanced and informative debate about this.

I'm under no illusions that is impossible in Ireland with reactionaries on both extremes.

Most people are in the middle.
    My thoughts exactly i regard myself as pro choice but i have no time for this shouting down slandering and attacking of opponents just because they have a different opinion likewise i no time have no time for the extreme pro life side who want to force their own morality on everyone either, like you said most people are in the middle who want a reasoned debate from both sides, unfortunately in a debate such as this that often struggles to be the case.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    That is possible but its also possible to hear medics describe abortions in clinical detail, especially late term.
    There should be a representative for the unborn at this committee asking for this testimony, afterall, the 8th hasn't been repealed yet, and today they have constitutional rights unrepresented at this hearing and certainly absent from the CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It's weird that in a world where nearly every country has more liberal abortion laws than Ireland, where the current Irish population consistently poll heavily in favour of liberalising the abortion regime and where the council of GPs have voted in favour of liberalisation that the majority of witnesses called are in favour of it. Super weird.

It would be really helpful if the TDs in question could identify some renowned practicing Irish OBGYNs who are pro-life who they feel have been refused a chance to speak to the committee.
    In many jurisdictions with liberal abortion laws the population wasn't asked.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    One person's integrity is another's bias.
    Most people are able to divorce their personal views from professional one's.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    My thoughts exactly i regard myself as pro choice but i have no time for this shouting down slandering and attacking of opponents just because they have a different opinion likewise i no time have no time for the extreme pro life side who want to force their own morality on everyone either, like you said most people are in the middle who want a reasoned debate from both sides, unfortunately in a debate such as this that often struggles to be the case.
    The middle ground is pro-choice. Isn't that convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    You're spinning there. The polls may be in favour of a more liberalisation, it's really only for the hard cases (FFA/rape). Outside of that and it's certainly not looking like gaining support.

The committee are moving to deliver something much more "liberal" than that.

As for other countries, we were the first country in the world to vote in favour of SSM, the world imo should follow our lead. Perhaps should we retain the 8th, we can show the countries you want to impress, that we are liberal in the truest sense of the word, acknowledging rights of humans before they're born.
    Anyone who listened to you would think homosexuality was illegal in most of Europe.

The truth is that most countries didn't need to have a vote because they didn't have such a conservatively-expressed constitution. One country that is behind though is Switzerland, since they too are having to have a referendum before SSM can be brought in. But then they didn't give the vote to women until 1971 so it's hardly surprising to find them, like Ireland, with a ridiculously conservative constitution that doesn't allow SSM via legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    If you believe Ireland is unsafe for pregnant women and the 8th prevented a termination in Galway then you've had the wool pulled over your eyes.

If not, you don't need to listen to either side, there's enough information out there that's factual to help you figure out the direction you wish to go in in relation to abortion.

Since the aim of the committee is to reach a consensus on what should replace the total prohibition on abortion and since they have had several days of medical testimony on medical reasons why abortion should be legal, surely they should examine the medics as to when there is no doubt that a human being exists and how that human being should be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Anyone who listened to you would think homosexuality was illegal in most of Europe.

The truth is that most countries didn't need to have a vote because they didn't have such a conservatively-expressed constitution. One country that is behind though is Switzerland, since they too are having to have a referendum before SSM can be brought in. But then they didn't give the vote to women until 1971 so it's hardly surprising to find them, like Ireland, with a ridiculously conservative constitution that doesn't allow SSM via legislation.
    I'm immensely proud at how we voted, and judging by the large demonstrations in your country (France) and the current controversy in Australia it's by no means a cert that if other countries held referenda the outcome would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    There should be a representative for the unborn at this committee asking for this testimony, afterall, the 8th hasn't been repealed yet, and today they have constitutional rights unrepresented at this hearing and certainly absent from the CA.
    It's not a court case Ger. The Committee should also establish what the RCOG guidelines are where the fetus is born alive following an abortion.

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment