Who commissioned this report ?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'll fight any man.

Your the king of dog************************e

Quote Originally Posted by Kommunist View Post
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...44131?mode=amp

Seems that racism is well enshrined and institutionalized. Having met many of the travelling community in Cork and worked alongside them in anti-water charge activism I've never had a bad experience. Certainly different, but not in any way that would have made me think any of the above things. Are these poll results vindicated? What do members of stormfront.ie think?
    Can you please provide links to the sources?

This article appears to be based on two publications. The accompanying photograph was taken, according to the caption, at the launch of the National Traveller Survey 2017. That publication can be found here:
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Nation...02017-2021.pdf

There is no reference in that publication to the statistics quoted in the Irish Times article. Those numbers must therefore come (I assume) from the " survey commissioned by Traveller organisations and carried out by Behaviour and Attitudes".

Where is that survey? I assume that it was paid for out of the public purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I don't think that poll is very accurate. Only 47% said they would be happy to work with a Polish person? Come off it, there's pretty much nobody in Ireland that doesn't already work with a Polish person unless they're unemployed.
    And if the figures weren't manipulated that may be 47% .

Do they ever ask what drives the discrimination. In terms of perceptions and experiences.

Decent Travellers, like all decent people, tend to be invisible.

We may notice travellers in public and give them a wide berth. That's not great and is a reaction to bad press and the inherent tribalism in human nature. Travellers are our own little failed multiculturalism experiment.

But to what extent is prejudice driven by perceptions of excessive cost and indulgence. No one likes freeloaders, and if there is a perception that Travellers are excessive in consumption of state supports compared to others and deliver a poorer return on investment, then that might benefit from a more honest dialogue.

Traveller groups might also benefit from acknowledging dysfunctional elements who are unreformable and casting them adrift through condemnation of antisocial behaviour rather than deflection.

The settled community call our scum out as such.

It's not just the traveler bit that sticks out.
    Those statistics would mean Ireland is extremely xenophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Filibuster View Post
    It's not just the traveler bit that sticks out.
    Those statistics would mean Ireland is extremely xenophobic.
    I would love to see the regional and socioeconomic splits in opinions. Read at face value, it is highly negative.

But I don't see that level of xenophobia towards most foreigners. Muslims would come with a big caveat on how orthodox they are, and I'd accept the stats on attitudes to travellers. But can't see the EU wide dysfunction.

The elephant in the room here is class. If you are a bit of a snob (or a lot of a snob, like me), then, if you only see working class eastern Europeans you may be a lot more negative towards them.

However, if you only deal with other middle class professionals from across the EU, then you are more accepting and open.

Outside of cultural taboos (women as property who are not worth educating), most of Ireland is quite accepting of others within one's own class levels, or above.

And Travellers will always be at the bottom of that self identified hierarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Travellers the best group for playing the victim in this country.
    You're on a roll Razor....same sh!t different day

there will never be real friendship between the settled and traveling communities

and no more about it

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment