Register to Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Josephine Pender, mother of missing Fiona Pender, passes away RIP

Staunch campaigner Josephine Pender became a national figure for her determination to find her daughter's remains.
    The mother of missing Offaly woman Fiona Pender has died following an illness, just three weeks after the 21st anniversary of her disappearance.

Josephine Pender had always held out hope of finding the remains of her daughter after she went missing in August 1996.

Fiona was seven months pregnant when she vanished from her flat on Church Street, Tullamore, Co Offaly on August 23, 1996.

Speaking just three weeks ago, Josephine said: "I can't say it's got any easier in the 21 years - it's been a lifetime and it's hard to believe."

R.I.P.

Links:
    Mother of missing Offaly woman Fiona Pender passes away - Offaly Express
    https://twitter.com/irishdailymail?lang=en
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/1530195/m...disappearance/
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I read about this yesterday.
    My heart goes out to this woman.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    I read about this yesterday.
    My heart goes out to this woman.
    She never gave up - and used every opportunity to raise awareness.
    Not alone that, but she raised awareness on every missing person, and was particularly supportive of the survivors and families of Tuam babies who she said were 'just as important as her Fiona'.

Today's Daily Mail carries an article on that.

An incredibly courageous woman right to the end when she was still speaking of Fiona and her quest to lay her to rest. Sadly she never saw that through. Someone out there knows someone, it's never too late to do what is right and give the family the peace they so desperately deserve.

I hadnt heard about this missing person case, was there any speculation? or complete mystery?

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    I hadnt heard about this missing person case, was there any speculation? or complete mystery?
    Various Irish media reports suggest that the main suspect in Pender’s disappearance, now living abroad, is suspected of having threatened another woman.
    Fiona Pender: A look back through an 18-year mystery TheJournal.ie

Like in many of these cases, they have a firm idea of who did it, but lack the evidence to prosecute.

Quote Originally Posted by HereWeGoAgain View Post
    Staunch campaigner Josephine Pender became a national figure for her determination to find her daughter's remains.
    The mother of missing Offaly woman Fiona Pender has died following an illness, just three weeks after the 21st anniversary of her disappearance.

Josephine Pender had always held out hope of finding the remains of her daughter after she went missing in August 1996.

Fiona was seven months pregnant when she vanished from her flat on Church Street, Tullamore, Co Offaly on August 23, 1996.

Speaking just three weeks ago, Josephine said: "I can't say it's got any easier in the 21 years - it's been a lifetime and it's hard to believe."

R.I.P.
    I had never heard of this story until now. My heart goes out to this woman and I can only hope the remaining family someday find the answers they are looking for and perhaps at least obtain some closure.

I hope she is at peace at last.

My sympathies to her family. Apparently Mrs Pender lost a son in a motor bike accident before Fiona went missing and her husband took her own life in the year 2000.

Many of the locals and the Gardai know fully well who were responsible for the murder of Fiona.

For legal reasons I won't mention his name.

Quote Originally Posted by devoutcapitalist View Post
    My sympathies to her family. Apparently Mrs Pender lost a son in a motor bike accident before Fiona went missing and her husband took her own life in the year 2000.

Many of the locals and the Gardai know fully well who were responsible for the murder of Fiona.

For legal reasons I won't mention his name.
    Is this individual still around the area ?

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Is this individual still around the area ?
    No he emigrated a number of years ago.

Twitter
    @

I'm just re-reading Barry Cummins's, MISSING - Missing without trace in Ireland, and have just finished the Fiona Pender chapter.

Between March 1993 and July 1989 six young women disappeared without a trace which lead eventually to the Garda response 'Operation Trace'. Fiona Pender was one of these.

Larry Murphy described by garda as one of the most violent men they have met, is thought to be involved in some of these disappearances, it is speculated he not of always acted alone; he is not a suspect in Fiona Penders case.

Annie McCarrick, Jo Jo Dullard, Fiona Pender, Ciara Breen, Fiona Sinnot are some of the women that disappeared without trace during that period and are still missing.
    Last edited by lilesosanne; 14th September 2017 at 04:37 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment