Register to Comment
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 243
Like Tree98Likes
  1. #131
    bokuden bokuden is offline
    bokuden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,677

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    Pray tell me what is the Socialist Party Electoral Strategy? I will give them credit for participating in the reversal of the great Irish water con, but electorally the Socialist Party are a party of protest and their only hope for significant progress is that there would be a massive economic collapse.
    True, I'm afraid. I think it's good for democracy that we have social pressure groups like solidarity/PBP, but I can't see them ever participating in government. They'd collapse any government that they'd be involved in within months.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #132
    hollandia hollandia is offline
    hollandia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    17,453

    Quote Originally Posted by bokuden View Post
    True, I'm afraid. I think it's good for democracy that we have social pressure groups like solidarity/PBP, but I can't see them ever participating in government. They'd collapse any government that they'd be involved in within months.
    Even if they had a parliamentary majority, that would still be extremely likely.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #133
    realistic1 realistic1 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,497

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    Not true - economic collapse does not lead to people backing left wing policies - when the economy begins a shallow recovery people begin to demand a reversal of the austerity imposed on them - when capitalism cannot provide for this reversal people move in a leftward direction. This has been evidence by increased support for the left since 2011 - whereas the left suffered electoral defeats in 2007.

    However, the reality is that parliamentary electoral politics is designed and structured to preserve the rule of the elites - socialists stand for participatory democracy - and if the parliamentary system cannot provide that then it is necessary to move outside the parliamentary system.

    To provide a quote by Malcolm X - 'by any means necessary'.
    I think it is more of a case that people can see through the flawed and failed politics of the Socialist Party. e.g. Nationalization of Private industry, no borders nonsense which has a direct result on social provision and wages for the working classes .
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #134
    PO'Neill PO'Neill is offline
    PO'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,042

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    And tell us PON - how many people got 'into debt and penalties' as a result of participating in the boycott - hell - not only did the boycott succeed in defeating water charges, it also will result in a refund for people who actually paid.
    Yet again when the anti water charges campaign stared back in 2014 no one had a clue how they'd turn out (we're still not finished I'd say as FG/FF have left the back door open to try and slide them in again) while the govt were saying that householders who refuse to pay water bills would have charges deducted from wages or social welfare etc. But when you had a go at SF for not supporting the boycott and I asked if people who you urge to boycott get into debt or have fines imposed what would the Trots do ? After refusing to answer me for several weeks you replied "they were made aware of the consequences". I then asked you several times to provide the official link or documentation that AAA (as you were called back then ) had stated this you never of course replied once. Don't give us any claptrap that the brillant Trots knew how it would exactly turn out in 2014, conceited [email protected]

    The SF strategy was flawed - from day one SF were flip-flopping on the issue - and then attacked the boycott campaign spouting the same propaganda as FG/LP. All SF campaigned on was 'vote for us and we'll sort it' - well people were not willing to wait and took decisive action themselves by boycotting the charges and bringing them down.
    Right2Water consisted of Community's, Unions and the political party’s of which SF were easily the largest, easily. Since you crowd don't hardly exist outside a few city's and the odd large town - who along with the community groups and unions got tens of thousands of people protesting from Donegal to Kerry, Sinn Fein that's who as you know well SF party policy has not flipped flopped on anything, it's policy from day one was to campaign against the water charges but not support a boycott as it could get people into debt and penalties and never changed since. Even critics of SF have acknowledged this in the discussion - but not the zealot Trot of course !! Indeed if anyone could be singled out for their input into the success of the anti water charges campaign it’s Brendan Ogle and Dave Gibney for forming and being the driving force behind Right2Water - not the micro groups of the Trots !
    Last edited by PO'Neill; 17th July 2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #135
    PO'Neill PO'Neill is offline
    PO'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,042

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    A load of bollix - produce the evidence
    Did you help people who followed your urging to not pay the their bin charges when they got into debt and fines ??

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    Not true - economic collapse does not lead to people backing left wing policies - when the economy begins a shallow recovery people begin to demand a reversal of the austerity imposed on them - when capitalism cannot provide for this reversal people move in a leftward direction. This has been evidence by increased support for the left since 2011 - whereas the left suffered electoral defeats in 2007.

    However, the reality is that parliamentary electoral politics is designed and structured to preserve the rule of the elites - socialists stand for participatory democracy - and if the parliamentary system cannot provide that then it is necessary to move outside the parliamentary system.

    To provide a quote by Malcolm X - 'by any means necessary'.
    Big tough fighting talk from the Trots, the same people who didn't fire a shot during the 25 or so years of the Troubles. Typical, just typical
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #136
    Spurius P Albus Spurius P Albus is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    178

    Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Did you help people who followed your urging to not pay the their bin charges when they got into debt and fines ??


    Big tough fighting talk from the Trots, the same people who didn't fire a shot during the 25 or so years of the Troubles. Typical, just typical
    Weren't your lot causing enough murder and mayhem for the trots to be adding to it.

    They are more into anarchy and economic destruction.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #137
    Degeneration X Degeneration X is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    577

    Quote Originally Posted by bokuden View Post
    Fg's lasting legacy will be the resurrection of Fianna Fail.
    Yes, FG greatest legacy will be they allowed FF to flourish on their incompetence!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #138
    tonic tonic is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    45,342

    It's a wonderful poll and right on the money, except FF would poll higher and SF lower on the day, but aside from that its only excellent and I believe the government should be changed immediately to reflect this new reality.

    Who's with me?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #139
    hollandia hollandia is offline
    hollandia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    17,453

    Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    It's a wonderful poll and right on the money, except FF would poll higher and SF lower on the day, but aside from that its only excellent and I believe the government should be changed immediately to reflect this new reality.

    Who's with me?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #140
    statsman statsman is offline
    statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50,119

    Still absolutely nothing significant happening in the polls. The only thing we can say is that a majority government of any sort is not looking likely post the next GE, so there is no incentive for either FF or FG to pull the plug.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment