Register to Comment
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 355
Like Tree151Likes
  1. #11
    Civic_critic2 Civic_critic2 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,083

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    1)We shouldn't be looking for the government to ''deliver homes''.
    We should be focused on why the cost of building is so high in the private sector.

    If we get the cost down, people can buy without having a noose around their necks for 25-30 years.

    How much do government taxes & levies increase the cost of a home ?


    2) Build high-rise i.e. Planning.
    We should be able to build up to 30 stories in the city.
    Workers want to live within walking or cycling distance of their daily job.
    You can't attract thousands of jobs into the city & then turn around and prevent workers from living there (by restricting supply).
    Not only does it make their lives unnecessarily stressful, but it increases the pressure on rush-hour traffic.


    3) No unemployed person should be given a place to live in the city centre.
    Not only is it extremely expensive, but it forces a worker to live in the suburbs & commute daily.
    Morally, it's just wrong.


    The key with all of this is supply.
    Increase supply in aggregate.
    Increase supply particularly where it's needed (city centres).
    Get rents down (by increasing supply) so tenants have enough money left to spend in the wider economy, thereby boosting more than one sector.

    As it stands, current government policy is purposely pushing prices up.
    1) remove estate agents from the process, they put an extra 3% cost unnecessarily on everything. Introduce IT automation and information clearing houses run by cooperatives.
    2) remove banks from the process, they add an unnecessary 30% to the process and levy further extraction over a 25-30 year period through interest.
    3) remove government levies from the process, they add another 30% to the cost.
    4) introduce vastly improved construction techniques, including automation and off-site construction, cutting construction costs in half.
    5) remove farmers from the process and make it law that all newly zoned land costs agricultural price + 25% just as elsewhere.
    6) lock Tom Parlon in the snug of Doheny and Nesbitts and throw away the key
    7) assemble co-operatives that will sell at cost.
    8) televise the whinging faces of the Irish establishment as they pointlessly rub two brain cells together trying to think of how else to make money.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    Sister Mercedes Sister Mercedes is offline
    Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21,016
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    46,116

    Post Grenfell tower I am less sure about high rise than I was. But the problem there was the cladding and a blocked escape stairs. Unfortunately I see a lot of similar looking cladding in my town. I want Eoghan to remove fire hazardous cladding from buildings and make sprinkler systems compulsory.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    realistic1 realistic1 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,062

    Quote Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
    We socialists do; you Fine Gaelers might not.
    I know plenty of people who are not "socialists" who have no issues paying tradesmen a decent wage. In my experience it has been the "socialists" who use immigrant workers to bring down wages and conditions for Native tradesmen.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    Disillusioned democrat Disillusioned democrat is offline
    Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,744

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    I know plenty of people who are not "socialists" who have no issues paying tradesmen a decent wage. In my experience it has been the "socialists" who use immigrant workers to bring down wages and conditions for Native tradesmen.
    A qualified tradesman deserves all he/she can get.

    A spoofer like Tom Parlon getting paid 6 figures for selling "access to influence" to make homes 20 - 30% more expensive than they need to be is the problem. I'd say Eoghan Murphy has more in common with Tom Parlon than Bob the Builder.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    Golden Phoenix Golden Phoenix is offline

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    792

    Quote Originally Posted by Civic_critic2 View Post
    1) remove estate agents from the process, they put an extra 3% cost unnecessarily on everything. Introduce IT automation and information clearing houses run by cooperatives.
    2) remove banks from the process, they add an unnecessary 30% to the process and levy further extraction over a 25-30 year period through interest.
    3) remove government levies from the process, they add another 30% to the cost.
    4) introduce vastly improved construction techniques, including automation and off-site construction, cutting construction costs in half.
    5) remove farmers from the process and make it law that all newly zoned land costs agricultural price + 25% just as elsewhere.
    6) lock Tom Parlon in the snug of Doheny and Nesbitts and throw away the key
    7) assemble co-operatives that will sell at cost.
    8) televise the whinging faces of the Irish establishment as they pointlessly rub two brain cells together trying to think of how else to make money.
    Great merit to the above and 6) is hilarious also!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    46,116

    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    His grandfather. Interesting
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    Disillusioned democrat Disillusioned democrat is offline
    Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,744

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Any relation or not?
    Grandfather....apples, trees?

    So far the family does show an unhealthy disrespect for other peoples' money...let's hope Eoghan is different.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    Disillusioned democrat Disillusioned democrat is offline
    Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,744

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    Great merit to the above and 6) is hilarious also!
    #6 too much like house arrest...I suspect Parlon would be in his element!!!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    Spanner Island Spanner Island is offline
    Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    23,262

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    1)We shouldn't be looking for the government to ''deliver homes''.
    We should be focused on why the cost of building is so high in the private sector.

    If we get the cost down, people can buy without having a noose around their necks for 25-30 years.

    How much do government taxes & levies increase the cost of a home ?
    It may well be too late at this stage... after decades of being indoctrinated with rocketing prices and the sad development of people buying a roof over their head with a perpetual eye on how much filthy lucre it'll make for them in value as they reside there.

    The Irish have a dysfunctional relationship with property.

    Even if all of the taxes the 'state' has its filthy mits on during the build and sale of property were abolished people would still be addicted to the easy money vibe and always expect values to go up...

    2) Build high-rise i.e. Planning.
    We should be able to build up to 30 stories in the city.
    Workers want to live within walking or cycling distance of their daily job.
    You can't attract thousands of jobs into the city & then turn around and prevent workers from living there (by restricting supply).
    Not only does it make their lives unnecessarily stressful, but it increases the pressure on rush-hour traffic.
    Yep... current restrictions are ludicrous although I would always prefer high rise to be clustered in designated areas as opposed to one offs dotted around the place...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment