Register to Comment
Page 3 of 361 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 3606
Like Tree2110Likes
  1. #21
    michael-mcivor michael-mcivor is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,326

    The DUP is about to take over England today and already London is lit up like the 11th night of July-
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Wascurito Wascurito is offline
    Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,015

    I can't either watch or listen any more.

    Sky News is interviewing people at random and they're blurting out these horrible stories....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    Wascurito Wascurito is offline
    Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,015

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    If as may or may not turn out to be the case this was a gas explosion, then I think we need to move away from gas heating and towards electrical central heating which is how I heat my home. The dangers are too great, particularly if a child with no understanding of this leaves a gas cooker on too long.
    One of the people Sky News interviewed claimed he was talking to the guy in whose apartment the fire broke out. He says "it started in the fridge".
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    Antóin Mac Comháin Antóin Mac Comháin is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,010

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Oh this is just awful.

    Almost unbelievable that such a huge catastrophe could happen in the 21st century in the developed world.
    No. It's actually not. From the Guardian:

    A resident group repeatedly warned of a fire risk at Grenfell Tower and claimed a major fire was narrowly averted after a power surge in 2013.

    The Grenfell Action Group says its concerns were dismissed by Kensington and Chelsea council, which owns the block, and and the local tenant management organisation [KCTMO], which runs the borough’s homes.

    In a blogpost last November, it wrote:

    It is our conviction that a serious fire in a tower block or similar high density residential property is the most likely reason that those who wield power at the KCTMO will be found out and brought to justice! The Grenfell Action Group believe that the KCTMO narrowly averted a major fire disaster at Grenfell Tower in 2013 when residents experienced a period of terrifying power surges that were subsequently found to have been caused by faulty wiring. We believe that our attempts to highlight the seriousness of this event were covered up by the KCTMO with the help of the RBKC scrutiny Committee who refused to investigate the legitimate concerns of tenants and leaseholders.

    We believe that these investigations will become part of damning evidence of the poor safety record of the KCTMO should a fire affect any other of their properties and cause the loss of life that we are predicting ...

    In the last twenty years and despite the terrifying power surge incident in 2013 and recent fire at Adair Tower, the residents of Grenfell Tower have received no proper fire safety instructions from the KCTMO. Residents were informed by a temporary notice stuck in the lift and one announcement in a recent regeneration newsletter that they should remain in their flats in the event of fire. There are not and never have been any instructions posted in the Grenfell Tower noticeboard or on individual floor as to how residents should act in event of a fire. Anyone who witnessed the recent tower block fire at Shepherds Court, in nearby Shepherd’s Bush, will know that the advice to remain in our properties would have led to certain fatalities and we are calling on our landlord to re-consider the advice that they have so badly circulated.

    The Grenfell Action Group predict that it won’t be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They can’t say that they haven’t been warned!


    It highlights the fact that the real inequality in the 21st century is not so much between the employer and employees, as between the tenants and the landlords. It's no different to the inequality which led to the deaths in South Dublin at a Traveler Halting Site.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    Wascurito Wascurito is offline
    Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,015

    Quote Originally Posted by michael-mcivor View Post
    The DUP is about to take over England today and already London is lit up like the 11th night of July-
    Oh, f__k off.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Antóin Mac Comháin Antóin Mac Comháin is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,010

    Quote Originally Posted by michael-mcivor View Post
    The DUP is about to take over England today and already London is lit up like the 11th night of July-
    It's a Labour Party Council, Mick. The Labour Party your leadership in Dublin told us the other day, had revolutionized politics in England.

    Bless.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS) Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS) is offline
    Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,649
    Twitter
    @

    Horrendous and devastating for all the people involved.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    Mad as Fish Mad as Fish is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    24,492

    Truly horrific. All sorts of lessons to be learnt here I am sure, but probably best to leave the arguments for a while.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is online now
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    37,775

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    One of the people Sky News interviewed claimed he was talking to the guy in whose apartment the fire broke out. He says "it started in the fridge".
    Maybe caused by an electrical fault?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    HenryHorace HenryHorace is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,286

    Oh dear some of the stories are stomach churning. One guy saying he put his kids in his car and drove them to his mothers house on the other side of London because the screams of people from the building where so frightening.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 361 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment