Register to Comment
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 142
Like Tree102Likes
  1. #11
    Franzoni Franzoni is offline
    Franzoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13,936

    Quote Originally Posted by tsarbomb View Post
    Between 1895 and 1914 Ireland was under British rule and neither Fine Gael nor Fianna Fáil were in power, and as a matter of fact neither existed during that time. The OP wants to use the suffering of people from the period of British occupation as political ammunition to attack the two most popular parties in the state. The title of this thread proves this.

    There is no denying the an unfortunate minority were, like in many other western European countries, subjected to horrendous abuse and this cannot be defended. To attribute this tragedy to a "counter revolution" by some mysterious right wing cabal though is complete unhistorical nonsense and anyone with even half a brain wouldn't take it seriously.
    Unfortunate minority .....?

    There are people alive who were indentured and have spoken on the airwaves quite recently...people who were born well after FF and FG were established....if you think that there weren't castle catholics with the ranks of both parties post '22 who were doing quite well under British rule you are the one who needs to get a grip....

    And you claim i'm talking historical nonsense.....are you from a farming or business background who benefited ..?....is this source of shame to you...?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    Franzoni Franzoni is offline
    Franzoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13,936

    Quote Originally Posted by ainm_eile View Post
    The Irish people choose to vote these people in repeatedly. Notwithstanding things like libel laws or the Garda Special Branch that helped uphold the system.
    I'm under no illusion that quite a good percentage of the vote base of both parties have done quite well over the years and have no intention of rocking the boat....

    Events might overtake both parties yet though.....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    ShinnerBot No.32564844524 ShinnerBot No.32564844524 is offline
    ShinnerBot No.32564844524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,924

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    LISTOWEL MAN LISTOWEL MAN is offline
    LISTOWEL MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,752

    "Sometimes the abuser can be so manipulative that sometimes the victim can feel they enjoyed it "

    what Gerry Adams said to Mairia Cahill
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    tsarbomb tsarbomb is offline
    tsarbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,049

    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    You're being a bit hard on him!

    On his own admission he's a Shinnerbot, thus he almost certainly has a lower than average IQ and probably thinks that Limerick is in the 6 Counties.

    And the graves that he blathered about are probably those of the "disappeared" - two perfectly understandable mistakes for any run-of-the-mill Shinner to have made.
    Using people who suffered during the late nineteenth and first two decades as a means of attacking parties that were founded decades later is taking a biscuit and it shouldn't be tolerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Franzoni View Post
    Unfortunate minority .....?

    There are people alive who were indentured and have spoken on the airwaves quite recently...people who were born well after FF and FG were established....if you think that there weren't castle catholics with the ranks of both parties post '22 who were doing quite well under British rule you are the one who needs to get a grip....

    And you claim i'm talking historical nonsense.....are you from a farming or business background who benefited ..?....is this source of shame to you...?
    You're acting on the mistaken assumption that I'm denying that people were indentured. I am clearly not. The practice was unfortunately too common here as well as in other countries and was known to happen by a lot of people, not just this mysterious group of British collaborators who have been supposedly pulling the strings since the nineteenth century that you claim are behind this. Using this to score points against other parties is absolutely disgusting.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    Ceartgoleor Ceartgoleor is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,013

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinnerBot No.32564844524 View Post
    It get's worse:

    What a country...still ruled by the same establishment who dotted the land with the mass graves of children murdered and raped.

    MORE mass graves here if you are really interested? Somehow I doubt it.

    You cant blame the taigs on this! It's the Socialist atheists this time the same ones leading the FAKE agenda in Ireland today!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_g...ass_executions
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    LISTOWEL MAN LISTOWEL MAN is offline
    LISTOWEL MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,752

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    Son of Jean McConville tells of abuse by Fr Brendan Smyth[/url]
    i was thinking she was murdered because she knew too much not because she was a tout

    her county's equivalent of slab murphy got rid of her etc
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    Mushroom Mushroom is offline
    Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13,647

    Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post

    i was thinking she was murdered because she knew too much not because she was a tout

    her county's equivalent of slab murphy got rid of her etc
    You're surely not referring to the man with the steel rimmed glasses and beard who at different times has been Fidel's, Nelson's, Muammar's, Tony's, Martin's, Bertie's and Bill's bestest buddy?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    runwiththewind runwiththewind is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10,691

    The same thing happened in NI and Scotland when children from the south were sent up north and Scotland to work for the mostly Protestant farmers.

    The hiring fairs. I thought this was common knowledge.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    Franzoni Franzoni is offline
    Franzoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13,936

    Quote Originally Posted by tsarbomb View Post
    You're acting on the mistaken assumption that I'm denying that people were indentured. I am clearly not. The practice was unfortunately too common here as well as in other countries and was known to happen by a lot of people, not just this mysterious group of British collaborators who have been supposedly pulling the strings since the nineteenth century that you claim are behind this. Using this to score points against other parties is absolutely disgusting.
    Cumann na nGaedhael/Fine Gael and Fianna Fail must of known about it as both parties have strong farming backgrounds within them and it was still going on until at least the 1960's from the Liveline show of few months back ..... one commentator mentioned he tried to leave a farm he was sent to from the industrial school he was in to join the Defence forces but he nearly failed the medical inspection as he was malnourished from being underfed from his time on the farm...

    I don't know how you see it as disgusting as it's historical fact ....you have admitted yourself it went on and are only now admitting it went on post 1895-1914 which you had previously denied.......

    He also said he was threatened by the family about wanting to leave and that was the reason had to get offside on the QT...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment