Register to Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Single Mother Awarded €3,000 Because Landlord Wanted a Couple.

Dublin estate agent must pay

This is a very interesting case and I wounder what the consequences will be.

Could a group of students, or flat sharers have claimed as they were denied housing?

I think what we will see advertised any more is just the price for the property, and if anybody is interested then they should apply.

They will be no more "might suit couple", "would suit professional", "might suit working female", "suit student", "would best suit a mature single person or couple", which I have seen on ads.

Everyone will be told yes we accept couples/students/hap/single mothers ect but in reality they will take who they want.
    This will waste the landlords/agents and prospective tenants time.

A Dublin-based estate agent has been ordered to pay €3,000 to a single mother .... after telling her that the landlord was looking for a couple for the property.

The woman claimed she had been discriminated against under the Equal Status Act on the grounds of her being a single mother and not in a relationship.

The woman claimed she had been discriminated against under the Equal Status Act on the grounds of her being a single mother and not in a relationship.

She said she was a “single mum with one toddler. I’m looking to rent using the Housing Assistance Payment scheme, which means rent is paid directly to the landlord’s bank account from Dublin City Council.
    Could you let me know if this would be agreeable. Thank you.”

In reply, the estate agent stated: “HAP is acceptable but the landlord is looking for a couple here, I’m afraid. Apologies on this.

The WRC’s report states that “for her the message was clear; the landlord wanted couples only, and she, as a single mother, had no chance of getting the apartment; the email was a ‘firm no’, a ‘flat refusal’ and in her opinion to say anything else is ‘ridiculous’.

For her, this was a case of a one-parent family being refused access to housing.”
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Strange case. Surely an advert to rent a property falls under "invitation to treat" and the choice of tenant is at the discretion of the landlord (provided some very specific discrimination rules are respected).

And if this was the landlord's instruction, why is the estate agent paying? Shooting the messenger.

Is it a foreigner?

Quote Originally Posted by farnaby View Post
    Strange case. Surely an advert to rent a property falls under "invitation to treat" and the choice of tenant is at the discretion of the landlord (provided some very specific discrimination rules are respected).

And if this was the landlord's instruction, why is the estate agent paying? Shooting the messenger.
    Next they'll be expecting us to rent to Prods.

No one in Australia will rent to an Irish these days they are deemed scum ..prostitutes also avoid Irish

Dublin is a sewer of foreign scum pity anyone forced to live there

Quote Originally Posted by troll account View Post
    Is it a foreigner?
    The landlord?

No one in Australia will rent to an Irish these days they are deemed scum ..prostitutes also avoid Irish
    When Irish knackers stop bar fighting and being general degenerates them maybe you might have a point.

Until then I'd never rent my place out to Irish boggers if I were an Ozzie landlord.

Dublin is a sewer of foreign scum pity anyone forced to live there
    Bit harsh. There's plenty of foreign scum but also plenty of Oirish scum too.

did Erica Fleming get a place to live yet ?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment