Register to Comment
Page 195 of 246 FirstFirst ... 95 145 185193194195196197 205 245 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2454
Like Tree1830Likes

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    totally unbiased reportage
    It is not designed as 'reportage' - it is an analysis of the nature of the judicial system and is designed to demonstrate how, despite the prosecution case being in absolute tatters, the judge (one appointed by the FG/LP government a week after the Jobstown protest) could simply direct the jury to find the defendants guilty.

You didn't answer my question, did you report a post of mine that you may have disliked?
    I do not report posts because I dislike them - on the very rare occasions I report posts it is because they are racist, homophobic etc or are making downright scurrilous unfounded accusations against someone - if your post falls into one of these catagorise and I reported it then you would have deserved it.

And to the best of my knowledge I haven't reported anything over the past few days.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    It is not designed as 'reportage' - it is an analysis of the nature of the judicial system and is designed to demonstrate how, despite the prosecution case being in absolute tatters, the judge (one appointed by the FG/LP government a week after the Jobstown protest) could simply direct the jury to find the defendants guilty.

I do not report posts because I dislike them - on the very rare occasions I report posts it is because they are racist, homophobic etc or are making downright scurrilous unfounded accusations against someone - if your post falls into one of these catagorise and I reported it then you would have deserved it.

And to the best of my knowledge I haven't reported anything over the past few days.
    You sure of that now, if it is such a rarity you would surely remember reporting one of mine? I still have a copy of it and I can post it again. I have been on this site for some time and I have only ever reported 1 post.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nal View Post
    Who cares?! I'm just happy they've been dragged through the courts and named and shamed in public. Punishment enough and an adequate deterrent for any other unruly mob of scum. Sends out an good message.
    It looks like it may also send out a message to colluding gardai

Update from today -

Trial was delayed for a couple of hours because transcripts from Friday's testimony had not been delivered to defence counsels for review. Transcripts were delivered and defence counsels took some time to review the evidence. Importance of this will be seen in a minute.

Cross-examination of Garda Loughney took place.

She stated that she was positioned at the back of Burton's car. Under questioning she stated that she didn't see Burton being moved to the Avensis. Defence counsel asked her if she was sure. Defence counsel then read her testimony to the prosecution on Friday where she stated that she saw Burton running to the car. Under repeated questioning Loughney eventually acknowledged that her testimony on Friday was wrong and she didn't see Burton being moved - all she saw was some movement of the crowd and surmised that Burton was being moved. Defence counsel then questioned her about why she told porkies on Friday - suggesting that the purpose of the false impression she was attempting to give was to tarnish the defendants with the jury.

Garda Loughney was then asked about where other Gardai were positioned - she then has the now routine lapse of memory that has been prominent during the trial.

Defence counsel then asked if she felt an air of calm descended over the protest after the withdrawal of the POU - 'well I wouldn't call it calm - but it was a lot quieter'.

Loughney was then asked about the sworn written statements that she made following the protest. The first of these statements was made immediately after the protest, the second some weeks later. Defence counsel questioned her about the discrepancies between the two statements. After some prolonged questioning Loughney admitted that she gave the second statement after looking at some of the CCTV footage of the protest during the investigation. Defence counsel pushed this issue - implying that it was done with a purpose, like the other Garda witnesses, of stitching up the defendants.
    Last edited by making waves; 22nd May 2017 at 05:32 PM.

You sure of that now, if it is such a rarity you would surely remember reporting one of mine? I still have a copy of it and I can post it again. I have been on this site for some time and I have only ever reported 1 post.
    If it clears things up, why not post it again. Makes sense

Update from today -

Trial was delayed for a couple of hours because transcripts from Friday's testimony had not been delivered to defence counsels for review. Transcripts were delivered and defence counsels took some time to review the evidence. Importance of this will be seen in a minute.

She stated that she was positioned at the back of Burton's car. Under questioning she stated that she didn't see Burton being moved to the Avensis. Defence counsel asked her if she was sure. Defence counsel then read her testimony to the prosecution on Friday where she stated that she saw Burton running to the car. Under repeated questioning Loughney eventually acknowledged that her testimony on Friday was wrong and she didn't see Burton being moved - all she saw was some movement of the crowd and surmised that Burton was being moved. Defence counsel then questioned her about why she told porkies on Friday - suggesting that the purpose of the false impression she was attempting to give was to tarnish the defendants with the jury.

Garda Loughney was then asked about where other Gardai were positioned - she then has the now routine lapse of memory that has been prominent during the trial.

Defence counsel then asked if she felt an air of calm descended over the protest after the withdrawal of the POU - 'well I wouldn't call it calm - but it was a lot quieter'.

Loughney was then asked about the sworn written statements that she made following the protest. The first of these statements was made immediately after the protest, the second some weeks later. Defence counsel questioned her about the discrepancies between the two statements. After some prolonged questioning Loughney admitted that she gave the second statement after looking at some of the video footage of the protest during the investigation. Defence counsel pushed this issue - implying that it was done with a purpose, like the other Garda witnesses, of stitching up the defendants.
    We have a really professional police force, don't we?
    Even as they attempt to discredit citizens, their incompetence and lies are shown up.

No wonder they want it made illegal to film a copper carrying out his/her duties.

The camera never lies!!!

No doubt about is but main stream media cannot be trusted however social media is worse
    Mainstream media in Ireland is fake news.
    Anyone who soaks it up is an ignorant fool.

Update from today -

Loughney was then asked about the sworn written statements that she made following the protest. The first of these statements was made immediately after the protest, the second some weeks later. Defence counsel questioned her about the discrepancies between the two statements. After some prolonged questioning Loughney admitted that she gave the second statement after looking at some of the CCTV footage of the protest during the investigation. Defence counsel pushed this issue - implying that it was done with a purpose, like the other Garda witnesses, of stitching up the defendants.
    The defence should request a lie detector test for gardaí giving evidence. This organised garda lying is the real story of this trial. Sad.

After this there was prolonged questioning about the role of Councillor Mick Murphy during the protest.

Defence counsel read her testimony to the prosecution on Friday. In this she claimed that Councillor Mick Murphy had used a loudhailer to say 'will we get her to say here?' - 'should she stay here?' - and then something about giving Burton 'sanctuary in the church'. Defence counsel asked if these were all questions to the crowd - Loughney replied that they were. After asking for clarification a number of times Loughney said 'that was my impression'.

Defence counsel then showed the witness video footage and argued that the video evidence showed Mick Murphy did not pose any of these questions. Defence counsel asked if she wished to change her testimony to which she replied 'I believed it was correct'. She stated that she thought this from behind the car. Defence counsel then asked Loughney about her claim that Mick Murphy was using a loudhailer. Counsel read her testimony from Friday where she stated he was - saying that this was how she knew what he was saying.

Defence counsel then showed a prolonged piece of video footage pointing out that throughout the entire period she claimed that Mick Murphy had a loudhailer, he was not in possession of a loudhailer and only used one for one short period during the 'debate' for the vote about the agreement to withdraw the POU.

The upshot of all of this was that, despite her sworn statements (the second of which was altered) and her testimony on Friday - she had to accept that she couldn't have heard Mick Murphy and throughout the 'vast bulk' of the period she claimed he had a loudhailer - he didn't (defence counsel had offered to show the long video again if she wanted to see it - just so she could be sure).

Defence counsel finished by offering to let her go off and look at the CCTV footage again 'at your leisure over the next few days and feel free to get back to me'.
    Last edited by making waves; 22nd May 2017 at 05:54 PM.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by TheField View Post
    Short answer. Yes. Joan Burton has earned respect.
    From whom?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment