Register to Comment
Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1262Likes

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    Just listening to RTE....Eugene Clonan...you can hear it in his voice....one casualty was located in a critical condition....not much hope.
    Wouldn't surprise me if he was receiving more bad news as he was speaking. Not much hope for the casualty found either. Terrible tragedy.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Sligo, Dublin, Shannon and Waterford.
    They refuel at certain helipads for long flights - particularly if off north west or West Cork.

This helicopter which is twin engined was just off coast but had been further out suporting the Shannon helicopter.
    Normally the Air Corps do this I thought but they have staff shortages at present so I think Baldonnell is shut at certain hours. One of the papers had it May had to fly into Dublin Airport not Baldonnell when she came over to lie to and patronise us last month.
    Our investment in air and navy resources has been abysmal. We don't even have a Minister for Defense anymore.

Helicopters, which are vitally importance to a small military force such as Ireland, have also seen a massive decline in the number rotary fleet airframes available. From a high of 16 helicopters in the fleet, the number has fallen to just eight, two EC 135 and six AW 139 and these are expected to continue to deliver the required Defence Forces training and other support capabilities, over the lifetime of the White Paper (i.e. for at least the next ten years).
    Irish defence spending lowest in EU - The Irish Times

Irish Defence budget increases but is it enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Our investment in air and navy resources has been abysmal. We don't even have a Minister for Defense anymore.

Irish defence spending lowest in EU - The Irish Times

Irish Defence budget increases but is it enough?
    You seem to be under the impression that the Coast Guard is the same as the Air Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    Just listening to RTE....Eugene Clonan...you can hear it in his voice....one casualty was located in a critical condition....not much hope.
    hopefully, he/she can communicate the details of the accident to the crew of the lifeboat

Heroes.

So sad. That helicopter would fly twice daily near my house, always a welcome sight . Hoping for a miracle that some of the crew survive.

This is a tragedy of a different kind, when someone is lost at sea the fishing community comes together to mourn our loss, but there are thousands of people who still have a father, a brother, a son, a friend because of the bravery of these men, I know I am one.

I have seen these men in action, I have been in their helicopter, they wait in warm comfort till a desperate call sends them into a howling hell of wind, water and frightened fishermen. They lower a man unto a target bristling with masts, derek's, ropes and aerials thats pitching and rolling and within minutes their gone, speeding someones son to safety.

These men are the bravest of the brave, it does not matter if you are Irish or Spanish, black or white, muslim or christian if you are at sea and in trouble these men and women will risk their lives to save you.

My heart goes out to the families of the crew who have lost their loved ones and I hope they are found, i hope the survivor recovers and I hope we as a nation recognise that this is our loss and we properly salute our true heroes.
    Last edited by benroe; 14th March 2017 at 10:45 AM.

Following serious controlability incident on a S92 at the end of December in the North Sea the manufacturer mandated that immediate tail rotor inspections be carried out on all these helicopters.

On 10 January Sikorsky issued an alert service bulletin to all S-92 operators worldwide requiring immediate inspection of the TRPCS bearing, causing many aircraft to be withdrawn from service.
    https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...earing-433071/

The lack of any distress call might point towards a mechanical failure.

Doesnt sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    This is a tragedy of a different kind, when someone is lost at sea the fishing community comes together to mourn our loss, but there are thousands of people who still have a father, a brother, a son, a friend because of the bravery of these men, I know I am one.

I have seen these men in action, I have been in their helicopter, they wait in warm comfort till a desperate call sends them into a howling hell of wind, water and frightened fishermen. They lower a man unto a target bristling with masts, derek's, ropes and aerials thats pitching and rolling and within minutes their gone, speeding someones son to safety.

These men are the bravest of the brave, it does not matter if you are Irish or Spanish, black or white, muslim or christian if you are at sea and in trouble these men will risk their lives to save you.

My heart goes out to the families of the crew who have lost their loved ones and I hope they are found, i hope the survivor recovers and I hope we as a nation recognise that this is our loss and we properly salute our true heroes.

Are fatalities confirmed?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment