Register to Comment
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Hibernia Forum - a new right wing think tank

The Hibernia Forum was launched today by Eamon Delaney, Cllr. Keith Redmond, and Cormac Lucey. The group support free market capitalism and are hawkish on the state of government finances.

Funding for the group is said to come from "entrepreneurs". The launch comes one day after the announcement of Renua's flat tax proposals. However, the group say they will not be aligned with any political party.

New think tank warns against giveaway budget - RTÉ News

Delaney is an author and journalist. My impression of him in the past was that he was pro capitalism and less than cheery about the public sector. Redmond is a dentist and Fine Gael councillor for Howth-Malahide. He describes himself as a libertarian. Lucey is a lecturer - not to be confused with Brian - and commentator who served as an advisor for former Tánaiste, Minister for Justice, and Progressive Democrats leader Michael McDowell.

Interestingly, former UCD economics lecturer Moore McDowell (brother of Michael) is on the group's academic board. Also on this board is Sam Bowman of the U.K. libertarian group the Adam Smith Institute.

Other individuals associated with the new group include businessman and commentator Aaron McKenna, Fine Gael members Joe Lawlor and Conor McWade (ex-PDs), and former Fianna Fáil members Aidan Brophy and Sarah Ryan.

About | Hibernia Forum

I welcome this point of view being given a voice. However, I find that think tanks (both left- and right-orientated) typically offer only slanted research and spin on their topic of choice. I am not optimistic.

What do you think? Are they a voice of reason in budgetary matters or just a delivery service for neo-liberal ideology?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I like how you can tell from their name alone that they're right wing. Those types seem to have a fetish for anything that sounds vaguely imperial.

As another general heuristic, never trust anyone who describes themselves as a libertarian without qualification.

Again they talk about a giveaway budget that equates to €375 per worker. This doesn`t even take those that will benefit from increases to childrens allowances, Xmas bonus and maybe an increase in the OAP into account.

Some giveaway

€375

I'm not clear on how they're right wing from that article. They're saying no to the higher rate tax cut the current centre right govt are about to enact in order to buy votes. How is that right wing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I'm not clear on how they're right wing from that article. They're saying no to the higher rate tax cut the current centre right govt are about to enact in order to buy votes. How is that right wing?
    They're right wing with principle, not right wing with a political party, different story.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    They're right wing with principle, not right wing with a political party, different story.
    Right but they're objecting to a cut in the upper tax band. How does that make them right wing?

Its clear they are not left wing

Lucey writes a well informed column in The Sunday Times business section.

Right but they're objecting to a cut in the upper tax band. How does that make them right wing?
    It's the rest of their stuff (in general) that makes them likely to be right wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Lucey writes a well informed column in The Sunday Times business section.
    Wasn't he part of the brains' trust behind the PDs with their light touch regulation.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment