Register to Comment
Page 2690 of 2690 FirstFirst ... 16902190259026402680268826892690
Results 26,891 to 26,895 of 26895
Like Tree21382Likes

source: Tuam Babies Family Group twitter - further info via My Name is Bridget by Alison O'Reilly

Revelations in 2012:

Link https://twitter.com/tuambabiesfami1?lang=en
    Last edited by HereWeGoAgain; 13th May 2018 at 05:32 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by HereWeGoAgain View Post

Revelations in 2012:
    Reeks of political interference with proper policing .....

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Reeks of political interference with proper policing .....
    further evidence available at https://twitter.com/tuambabiesfami1?lang=en

and chapter 12 Resistance and Persistence from My Name is Bridget by Alison O'Reilly (p. 199)
    Last edited by HereWeGoAgain; 13th May 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Very sad news.

Kathy McMahon Founder of Irish First Mothers has passed away suddenly. Our sympathy to her loved ones, Fintan Dunne and fellow advocates/Board members. Truly inspirational, Kathy addressed the Oireachtas per script below:

Opening Remarks to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and
    Children on the pre-legislative scrutiny on the Heads of the General
    Scheme of the Adoption (Information and Tracing) Bill 2015

By Kathy McMahon, Founder
    Irish First Mothers Group

Irish First Mothers
    [email protected]

My name is Kathy McMahon. I am an Irish ‘First Mother’.
    My first child was born in April 1974 after I spent 4 months in the Good Shepard Convent in Dunboyne Co Meath. I was aged 18. I nursed my child for 7 days. But on the day I was
    discharged from hospital a nurse took my infant daughter without warning. I was later
    forced to sanction her adoption. I did not see my daughter for another 28 years.
    In early 2014 I founded Irish First Mothers - a peer-to-peer mutual support group for
    women who had their children coercively placed for adoption. We have over 50 verified
    members, and we range in age from early 40's through to mid 70's. Most of us were
    incarcerated in so-called ‘Mother and Baby Homes’. Public discussion of this proposed
    legislation often references a 1998 Supreme Court judgment defending a right to
    confidentiality extended to us first mothers at the time our children were adopted. The
    heads of the Bill refer to this confidentiality issue.

I am here to advise this committee that us mothers never sought confidentially - and we
    were never offered confidentiality. Instead, us mothers were threatened to never attempt
    ourselves to make contact with our children. My own abiding memory of my incarceration
    in a Mother and Baby home was of other mothers screaming in anguish following the often forced removal of their babies. Our rights and welfare were not the paramount concern of those around us.

We can find no natural mother of an adopted person who was given confidentiality
    assurances. Thus we can advise that if a Supreme Court ruling relied on the existence of a cohort of women who were given special confidentiality assurances – the judgment may be moot because such a cohort of women does not exist. Legislators should therefore feel
    free to simply balance the general right to confidentiality with the general good - as is
    their right. The heads of the Bill also reference contact vetoes administered by means of a contact preference register. We oppose such vetoes. We estimate that around 98% of first mothers are open to reconnecting with their adopted children at some level.
    All of the mothers in our group who expressed an opinion are opposed to vetoes or
    excessive delays. Administration of a veto system will further delay the process of
    reunification for natural mothers - of whom many are elderly.

Bureaucratic delays have resulted in some cases in adult adopted people discovering their
    natural mother has died before they had an opportunity to meet. One mother experienced an 8 year delay in the exchange of information despite the fact that both she and her adult adopted child were searching and requesting information about each other simultaneously.

According to the annual report of Tusla, there were recently over one thousand people
    waiting for information and tracing services for historical adoptions. After a mass public
    awareness campaign the system would be under even more strain. Many first mothers also suffer psychological and physical consequences of past State practices in respect of
    adoption. Their situation can be greatly improved by fruitful reconnection, so a timely
    resolution of these traumatic adoption issues is in the public interest.

We favour streamlined administrative systems which allow applicants to automatically
    progress their own reconnections using telephone and/or online technology once their
    identity and qualification to seek information has been established. Even under existing ad hoc channels, the great majority of adoption reconnection cases are non-contentious and have favourable outcomes. So in a streamlined scheme, Tusla would only be involved
    where an applicant directly requests their assistance.

Furthermore, the state has little foundation for denying the human right to knowledge of
    family by imposing restrictions which could cause untimely delay in accessing information.

We should speedily facilitate the greatest number of fruitful reconnections for the greatest number of persons. In this regard our full submission details how the state of Victoria in Australia has just earlier this year passed the ‘Adoption Amendment Bill 2015’ which removes reference to ‘contact preferences’ from 2013 Adoption laws – without affecting a person’s right to register their contact wishes on Victoria’s Adoption Information Register. Supporting the 2015 Bill, Victoria MP, Sam Hibbins wrote:
    “[contact statements] set up yet another barrier to contact between natural parents and
    adopted children being re-established. It is not appropriate when we are dealing with two
    adults who want to regulate contact with each other. […] We should revert to the
    framework we had in place for 29 years where Victorian adults regulated contact between
    each other.”

This recent international law experience shows it is best legislative practice to avoid
    including discriminatory contact vetoes in laws affecting parties to adoption.
    In conclusion, unresolved adoption and adoption reconnection issues affect mental health.

So the common good is served by law with a public health bias which supports and
    encourages the process of adoption reconnection and educates on how to achieve
    reconciliation.
    A good law would be one which produce
    s the favourable public health outcome of many
    fruitful reconnections arising from the legislation.
    Let us in conclusion quote President Michael D Higgins, who said:
    “where the State has been responsible,
    the State has to take responsibility…

Let us discharge our responsibilities to provide citizens with their rightful heritage:
    timely and full access to their birthright of personal information.
    Thank You.
    RIP Kathy.

https://webarchive.oireachtas.ie/par...st-mothers.pdf

Newstalk this afternoon - from Galway (Ballybrit Race Course)

Panel: Catherine Corless, Historian.
    Paddy Cullivan of Late Late show band
    Ray Silke, GAA sportsman

Theme: A Changing Ireland?

With the country on the cusp of a historic referendum and a Papal visit, Ivan Yates will host a live debate on the social changes Ireland has witnessed over the past four decades as he broadcasts from The Galway Race Track at Ballybrit – one of the locations visited by Pope John Paul II in 1979.

Listen live
    https://www.newstalk.com/The-Hard-Sh...anging-Ireland

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment