Register to Comment
Page 2292 of 2507 FirstFirst ... 1292 1792 2192 2242 228222902291229222932294 2302 2342 2392 ... LastLast
Results 22,911 to 22,920 of 25065
Like Tree20193Likes

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    I've just read that. Ive no idea where he got his information from, but neither do I see any objection from him to the burial place itself. I don't think the symbolism was his point at all.

So I'm surprised you find it so hard to work out what he says is so awful.
    No actually, scratch that, no I'm not a bit surprised.

His objections seem to be about selling babies for profit, and cruelty to living children. His point is that if it's a carefully prepared burial place, then it wasn't just "because no-one cared", it was because there seems to have been a deliberate attempt to prevent proper records from being kept.

I've no idea whether he's correct on that, but if he is, would that make the whole thing any better? Seriously?
    Remind me, foetuses are (a) not living or (b) not children?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I've just read that. Ive no idea where he got his information from, but neither do I see any objection from him to the burial place itself. I don't think the symbolism was his point at all.

So I'm surprised you find it so hard to work out what he says is so awful.
    No actually, scratch that, no I'm not a bit surprised.

His objections seem to be about selling babies for profit, and cruelty to living children. His point is that if it's a carefully prepared burial place, then it wasn't just "because no-one cared", it was because there seems to have been a deliberate attempt to prevent proper records from being kept.

I've no idea whether he's correct on that, but if he is, would that make the whole thing any better? Seriously?
    You don't see any objection to the burial place itself in this:

Nobody who acts on such instincts deserves anything except condemnation.

And don't anyone think that this happened by accident.

It was meticulously well organised.

It was hardly accidental to construct chambers, capable of holding hundreds of bodies, that included properly constructed steps to gain access to the chambers, underground.

Builders were required. With workers. Excavating for weeks before constructing the chambers which were intended to be used as burial places for those seen as less important. Blocks were laid, so block layers had to be sourced.

Some chambers were plastered, so plasterers were hired in too.

No; this was far from accidental.

This was an evil, dirty, terrible attitude to possess, and anyone who participated in those places should be ashamed of themselves.

You missed an important bit :
    The babies who were abused, allowed die, and sold for profit, were babies.

Babies.
    Read that again, and tell us that his objection is to the place where they were buried having been plastered.

AFAICT, his claim about the plastering is because his theory is that there was a deliberate cover up going on, to hide neglect, cruelty and child trafficking. And the plastering etc - he believes - proves that the actions were deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    Well considering that scientific analysis puts the remains found in the septic tank as including those of young children up to 3 years of age, its odd that the nuns didn't baptise them, don't you think?

The problem with you, Calc, is that you don't do the research.
    Sigh! Let me draw your attention to this. Again!

Saving Ireland's forgotten burial sites | Irish Examiner

These sites are known as cilliní, or children’s burial grounds, a place where unbaptised children were laid to rest, as were convicted murderers, illegitimate children, their mothers and those whose religion was not known.
    Illegitimate children were not buried in consecrated ground.

Read that again, and tell us that his objection is to the place where they were buried having been plastered.

AFAICT, his claim about the plastering is because his theory is that there was a deliberate cover up going on, to hide neglect, cruelty and child trafficking.
    Of course, he has zero evidence that babies were "abused, allowed die, and sold for profit" in Tuam, but leaving that fact-free allegation aside, he clearly has a big issue with an underground burial chamber. I mean according to him it was deliberately constructed ("no accident", which seems a big point to him), it was plastered and steps were put in, OMG! What an idiot.

AFAICT, his claim about the plastering is because his theory is that there was a deliberate cover up going on, to hide neglect, cruelty and child trafficking. And the plastering etc - he believes - proves that the actions were deliberate.
    If it was a deliberate cover up, why would they hire builders and contractors to construct a crypt?

Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    Of course, he has zero evidence that babies were "abused, allowed die, and sold for profit" in Tuam, but leaving that fact-free allegation aside, he clearly has a big issue with an underground burial chamber. I mean according to him it was deliberately constructed ("no accident", which seems a big point to him), it was plastered and steps were put in, OMG! What an idiot.
    Putting steps into a secret cesspit. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by TirChonaill View Post

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of such burial sites throughout Ireland.

Ireland's lost limbo babies: A very personal journey - Independent.ie

Quote Originally Posted by TirChonaill View Post

What exactly is consecrated ground though, do you know? It's unclear but there seems to have been a graveyard on this site - the old workhouse graveyard. Would that have been consecrated ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Calculusmadeeasy View Post
    Do you mean a "tunnel" that a person could walk through?

Modern Cesspools/Septic tanks feature an access hatch (600mm diameter access way).
    I mean a tunnel you could walk through.

https://www.mercatornet.com/mobile/v...espite-outrage

In his blogpost which appears to row back from some of his original claims, journalist Philip Boucher-Hayes quotes an eyewitness called Julia Devaney who was a resident of the Tuam home and later an employee. She recalled assisting the sisters in carrying the bodies of deceased babies through a tunnel which led to a burial vault.
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    What exactly is consecrated ground though, do you know? It's unclear but there seems to have been a graveyard on this site - the old workhouse graveyard. Would that have been consecrated ground?
    Ground which has been blessed for the express purpose of being used as a graveyard in this instance.
    It's possible to consecrate (or make sacred) ground/objects for various reasons. The prayers would be a little different, according to the reason for the consecration, afaik.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment