Register to Comment
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 363
Like Tree237Likes
  1. #41
    Nemesiscorporation Nemesiscorporation is offline
    Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,590

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Broadband speed is important to Rural Business?
    (Serious question)
    Try running a rural farm shop, equestrian center, etc, with upload speeds of 4k, connection dropping out, etc. It costs business.

    Also being a software developer dealing with Irish broadband speeds. You either quit of leave.

    It is preventing development of business's in rural areas.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #42
    MacO'velli MacO'velli is offline
    MacO'velli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,444

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Broadband speed is important to Rural Business?
    (Serious question)
    I'd imagine the implication is that Broadband is important to most business at this stage?

    I've a house down in Galway that I spend some time in, recently I needed to get something done to my car. Close to the house is a newly opened Service Garage, somebody suggested to me that they were good, I doubted theyd have the parts or capability to get the part required, as my car wouldnt be that run of the mill. within seconds the guy was able to price and source the part and organise to have it delivered and fitted the next day, all by going onto some website he'd an account with. Years ago it would have taken probably a week?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #43
    Analyzer Analyzer is offline
    Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    42,317

    Ireland only does "competitiveness" when it comes to tax on a particular segment of the economy.

    Infrastructure, planning, cost efficiency, it is a different matter.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #44
    Bonsai Experiment Bonsai Experiment is offline
    Bonsai Experiment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,579

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    1) I am not sure why people expect politicians to deliver broadband

    2) If you live in BallyfeicNowhere...you shouldn't be surprised if broadband is poor

    cYp
    Why ffs? If I can run a better business in the middle of nowhere that you can in Tallaght why should I be dinscriminated against. This shiit should have been done and dusted ten years ago the whole country should have 10 or 20meg broadband capability.
    Its a ringing endorsment of our shiite backwrds corrupt self serving politicians that i can only get 1.6 on a good day and I live 10 miles from a "gateway" town. useless fnckers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #45
    Andycap Andycap is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,291

    F**k of boggers!!

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #46
    Dan_Murphy Dan_Murphy is offline
    Dan_Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,036

    As a curiosity, how much would it cost to set up your own ISP? I've seen articles about it happening in the US for as little as 20 million euro.

    I would pay top dollar for google fibre!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #47
    Cruimh Cruimh is offline
    Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    96,220

    Quote Originally Posted by MacO'velli View Post
    I'd imagine the implication is that Broadband is important to most business at this stage?

    I've a house down in Galway that I spend some time in, recently I needed to get something done to my car. Close to the house is a newly opened Service Garage, somebody suggested to me that they were good, I doubted theyd have the parts or capability to get the part required, as my car wouldnt be that run of the mill. within seconds the guy was able to price and source the part and organise to have it delivered and fitted the next day, all by going onto some website he'd an account with. Years ago it would have taken probably a week?
    But that is merely access to the internet - would he have needed ultra fast broadband?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #48
    Cruimh Cruimh is offline
    Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    96,220

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Experiment View Post
    Why ffs? If I can run a better business in the middle of nowhere that you can in Tallaght why should I be dinscriminated against. This shiit should have been done and dusted ten years ago the whole country should have 10 or 20meg broadband capability.
    Its a ringing endorsment of our shiite backwrds corrupt self serving politicians that i can only get 1.6 on a good day and I live 10 miles from a "gateway" town. useless fnckers.
    Because we need to protect our countryside? I'm all for the urban/rural divide. It is more efficient for starters.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #49
    Rural Rural is offline
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    29,090

    Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    F**k of boggers!!

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #50
    Cruimh Cruimh is offline
    Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    96,220

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    Try running a rural farm shop, equestrian center, etc, with upload speeds of 4k, connection dropping out, etc. It costs business.

    Also being a software developer dealing with Irish broadband speeds. You either quit of leave.

    It is preventing development of business's in rural areas.
    I'm all for businesses not being developed in rural areas. Unless we should regard everywhere as fair game for "development" and regard the place as one big city covering all the relevant counties.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment