Register to Comment
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

I've had no broadband for over 2 weeks now.
    My provider tells me eircom fix the line or exchange faults.

2 weeks and still not fixed.

I'm using the phone as a modem now but that's sh1te too cause I've no 3g where I live.

I live equidistant between two major towns in north county dublin but it seems I might as well be living on the moon.

Joke country, joke providers and a joke service.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

My income is directly tied to internet speed, I know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by at768 View Post
    My income is directly tied to internet speed, I know what I'm talking about..
    You obviously don't.

Care to answer some of the questions posed directly to you above?

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    So the great idea is that everyone should live in the City?

Mmmmmm and how would the City cope with this?
    will it drive up propurty proices in SECD ?

If the answer is yes, then it is a must.

If someone is a content creator and the amount of money they make is tied to how much they upload, They can make much more money going from Dial up to the Fibre 50 Chat from UPC. Which offers nearly 1,000x faster upload speed.

What is the point of that person waiting and complaining when they can move to a place that has it, and they can start earning more money.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanFrog View Post
    So "the city is much better for business that is highly dependent on Internet" is it? I'm genuinely interested in why you think that (because it makes no sense).

Seriously, do you have that attitude to electricity, water, road services etc etc etc to rural communities?

In my local (NBS) area, the primary school has just introduced iPad's for all the children. But there is no broadband in the school, and most of the parents can't access broadband in their homes. Do you really think this is justifiable? Because most people who know what they are talking about probably don't ...
    The problem with the NBS is that Eamonn Green wanted something done quickly and cheap.Cheap for the consumer and cheap for the State, and as Hutch were rolling out their 3g network at the time, they were seen as a win win.
    In the UK and the US, 3G is seen as Midband and not Broadband, ideal for browsing on the go but not for dedicated nailed up bandwith,Combined with the relatively low price and speed of availability, contention was always going to be an issue.

With 4G being rolled out, it should free up some 3g so that speeds should improve.

Here in Dublin I'm getting 44mb download and 13mb up, with a ping of 65ms on 4G, although I'd expect that to decrease over time as more 4G devices come on stream.

Quote Originally Posted by MacO'velli View Post
    With 4G being rolled out, it should free up some 3g so that speeds should improve.
    Thats absolutely NOT how that works !!

Quote Originally Posted by MacO'velli View Post
    Here in Dublin I'm getting 44mb download and 13mb up, with a ping of 65ms on 4G, although I'd expect that to decrease over time as more 4G devices come on stream.
    Decrease is an understatement !!

None of the mobile providers have enough spectrum to make 4G much better than 3G / HSPA, except when heavily loaded it will be 0.25Mbps to 1Mbps instead of 0.12Mbps to 0.5Mbps. Lightly loaded at an average real world distance there is almost no difference on the same size channels.

4G will never be Broadband.

Can someone explain to me how Broadband speed is important to Rural Business?
    (Serious question)

Thats absolutely NOT how that works !!
    Well, it actually is, as more users and devices transition to 4G, it will decrease the demand, and operators aren't decommissioning 3G anytime soon.

Decrease is an understatement !!

None of the mobile providers have enough spectrum to make 4G much better than 3G / HSPA, except when heavily loaded it will be 0.25Mbps to 1Mbps instead of 0.12Mbps to 0.5Mbps. Lightly loaded at an average real world distance there is almost no difference on the same size channels.

4G will never be Broadband.
    Those speeds are pretty bad, but I've got 5-7mb download on 3g here in Rathfarnham over the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Broadband speed is important to Rural Business?
    (Serious question)
    Sending documents etc. via email. Well duh!!!

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment