Register to Comment
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Quote Originally Posted by at768 View Post
    So you'd rather be in a rural area and what year and years before the internet companies have a reason to move there? Instead of moving to the city and increase the production ability with better internet?
    Just be quiet you fool
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by at768 View Post
    ATT is such a scam company, back in 2007 I got DSL for the fist time, and they had a 6Mb down package, and then later on i went to Charter Cable Internet in 2010, then in Mid 2011 I went back to ATT and the max they had was 3Mb for new plans since they were planning to start offering their Uverse package.
    Did you... um ....think of moving to a city? with like, um...decent Broadband n'stuff?

Better broadband network means you don't move people to the city, means less demand for city properties, lowers house price.
    The Less people commute the less energy is used in transport, lower energy bill for the state, lower green gas emission for 2020 target.
    The shorter the commute the more local jobs are created and childminding become easier and less expensive.
    Local jobs mean better communities and more locally involved workers.
    My father worked in BP hq 20 years ago and they were decommissioning city centre offices in favour of home offices and twice weekly meetings in purpose built, outside town meeting centres, that was 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MacO'velli View Post
    Did you... um ....think of moving to a city? with like, um...decent Broadband n'stuff?
    I'm in a suburban city, I get 30Mb/s down and 4Mb/s up right now for $57/month, since I switched back to cable.The only good thing about being in a suburban area is that they don't enforce the bandwidth cap for residential which is 250GB/month combined up and down. Sometimes I do 1,500GB up and down combined a month. If I move to a urban city I can get 150Mb/s down 20Mb/s up for $99 but they enforce the bandwidth cap to make people switch to the business plan which is $459/month.

For $402/month in costs I could rent a few really good servers that each get 100Mb/s down and up and are unmetered.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    My point is, for your example above - just build a second or third tower. They are cheaper than digging up the countryside and laying fiber. Also you avoid half the countryside objecting to the cables being laid and the other half looking for compensation for the cables going through/over their land.
    How do you think the 4G tower gets broadband? Yes!! A fibre cable. Seriously, do you know what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by OceanFrog View Post
    How do you think the 4G tower gets broadband? Yes!! A fibre cable. Seriously, do you know what you are talking about?
    Its cheaper to lay 10 100Mb/s lines to a single tower than it is to lay 1 100Mb/s lines to 10 different houses that may be spread out a few hundred meters from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    Seriously, You're not comparing like with like. Electricity is an essential human need (and the transmission & distribution systems have already been built).

High speed broadband is not. It is a luxury.
    The UN consider broadband to be a basic human right United Nations: Broadband is a Basic Human Right

To call it a luxury is very shortsighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    How many people in Rural Ireland want to stream lectures?

This has to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on P.ie. And thats saying something.

A 2012 report from the State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) observes that “access to high-speed broadband is now as vital a component of K-12 school infrastructure as electricity, air conditioning and heating.”
    For U.S. K-12 students, more bandwidth is on the school supplies list | Broadband Center of Excellence

The main obstacle to broadband is Eircom. A company thats bankrupt has almost no employees and will never upgrade phone lines. I have Qsat because I cant get anything else, my ph line is prehistoric my dongle for mobile broadband is always congested so I have no choice. And I live 3k outside a major town. Crap

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment