Register to Comment
Page 82 of 162 FirstFirst ... 32 728081828384 92 132 ... LastLast
Like Tree625Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Maybe military radar does things that civilian radar doesn't, but I don't see how it can establish climb or descent if the transponder was off.

I know that its bad form to quote yourself so please forgive me -

Most military radars can measure the elevation of the target. A basic surveillance radar will only give bearing and range, basic 2D capability but the altitude can be ascertained by having a second radar the scan up an down in a particular sector of interest(rather than in azimuth) or else with more advanced equipment by sending out multiple beams at different angles and comparing the different strengths of return to determine it. Also phased array radars with no moving antennae can also determine height but I don't think the Malaysians have that sort of equipment.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Maybe military radar does things that civilian radar doesn't, but I don't see how it can establish climb or descent if the transponder was off.
    It can determine altitude and position. When it acquires these readings over a period of time, the results can then be used to establish whether an object is climbing/descending and also determine the speed and direction. The equation used to determine the height/altitude of an object with radar is:

Quote Originally Posted by KongMing View Post
    It can determine altitude and position. When it acquires these readings over a period of time, the results can then be used to establish whether an object is climbing/descending and also determine the speed and direction. The equation used to determine the height/altitude of an object with radar is:

Are you sure that Malaysian military radar has that capacity?

All I've heard about the 45,000 feet is from someone on this site, saying he read someone on a pilots' site outlining it as a possible scenario. Classic case of Chinese whispers.
    The reports of various changes of levels have been out for several days, been reported by various channels and I not yet seen any denials.

Radar signals recorded by the Malaysian military appeared to show that the missing airliner climbed to 45,000 feet, above the approved altitude limit for a Boeing 777-200, soon after it disappeared from civilian radar and turned sharply to the west, according to a preliminary assessment by a person familiar with the data.

The radar track, which the Malaysian government has not released but says it has provided to the United States and China, showed that the plane then descended unevenly to 23,000 feet, below normal cruising levels, as it approached the densely populated island of Penang.
    Malaysia Airlines MH370 Experienced Bizarre Altitude Changes, New Data Claims

All radar has that capacity.

Adds: Bats have this capacity FFS.

Its nothing special, the military of any modern mid sized state would have that capability to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Roisin3 View Post
    Cargo worth over $200 million? The starting price of the 777 is $261.5 million.

Boeing: Jet Prices
    The cargo hold could have been filled with gold bullion, for all we know, I don't think the cargo manifest has been released. Simple theft could explain a lot, or everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    The cargo hold could have been filled with gold bullion, for all we know, I don't think the cargo manifest has been released. Simple theft could explain a lot, or everything.
    If it was full of gold bullion it wouldn't have gotten off the ground in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    If it was full of gold bullion it wouldn't have gotten off the ground in the first place...
    You never mentioned gold bullion when I was laying that extra 2k of tarmac on your island, boss.

I wouldn't go landin' anthin' heavy on it now, so I wouldn't.

I'll be a round in de mornin' with a few lads to fill the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Well it would have been loaded on legitimately and weighed for.
    Last edited by Twin Towers; 16th March 2014 at 07:53 PM.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment