View Poll Results: Does Ireland need stricter Animal Cruelty laws?

Voters
154. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

131 85.06%
  • No

23 14.94%
Register to Comment
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Why?
    Because only a scumbag neanderthal eejit would say such a disgusting, perverted thing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by TimBuckII View Post
    No they aren't.
    If there was equal money spent on a childrens hospital as a veterinary by the state I'd be seriously pissed off.

Absolutely animals should be protected and acts of violence or neglect against animals should be punished harshly.
    But not even close to the same level as that of a child.
    I appreciate you use the word respect but as far as I'm concerned nothing is equal in those terms.
    There is zero free health care for animals. Now the so called free health care for children in this country is kind of there, but very flawed.

In Dublin there is the Blue Cross, a voluntary service of pet care . The have mobile clinics in several areas and attend race meetings
    I saw it in one of the animal rescue programmes

The Irish Blue Cross 15A Goldenbridge Ind Est Tyrconnell Road Inchicore Dublin 8

Its interesting that there is such an emphatic response to this.

Back in 2010, when the Green Party had the temerity to bring legislation before the Dail re. stag hunting and puppy farms, they were accused from on high of "only caring about animals" etc etc

See below for example:

Irish Left Review | Green Party Saving The Nation – Only the Dog Breeding Bill remains

Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    Its interesting that there is such an emphatic response to this.

Back in 2010, when the Green Party had the temerity to bring legislation before the Dail re. stag hunting and puppy farms, they were accused from on high of "only caring about animals" etc etc

See below for example:

Irish Left Review | Green Party Saving The Nation – Only the Dog Breeding Bill remains
    It was their bloody light bulbs and carbon tax that piddled me off.

This thread needs some perspective.

Yes it was sick and twisted. But the victim was a dog. So while it was sick and twisted, no it does not equate with killing a baby, no it does not mean he will become a serial killer. I know fellows who have drowned pups, yet treated kids wonderfully and managed to avoid ending up with a line of corpses in their cellar.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    This thread needs some perspective.

Yes it was sick and twisted. But the victim was a dog. So while it was sick and twisted, no it does not equate with killing a baby, no it does not mean he will become a serial killer. I know fellows who have drowned pups, yet treated kids wonderfully and managed to avoid ending up with a line of corpses in their cellar.
    It does mean that there is a better chance of him becoming a killer. There are many studies to show this and other posters have provided links.

If the owner didn't want the dog why didn't he just surrender it - and the same goes for people who think that it's permissible to drown puppies - why don't they just spay their bloomin animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    At the very least they should be able to get him for the violent threats he made against the inspector.

Why is animal cruelty treated so lightly by the courts?
    Possibly because lobbies like the Greyhound or Coursing Lobbies want to be able to dispose of ''non performing assets'' without much hassle but then again I really don't know.

Dogs are extremely intelligent animals and can experience a wide range of emotions including a form of love for their owners, they can be depressed, jealous, anxious, excited......just because their intelligence is not on par with ours we think of them as 'dumb animals' or at least some do. My own dog is very intelligent and very emotional. If I have to go away for a few nights he knows and literally cries when I am leaving in the morning. He gets very excited when I return (too excited at times! The amount of paw prints I have on good trousers.......but I don't mind too much), he gets jealous if I give other dogs too much attention when out walking and he HATES cats (how cliched, but true!).

I'm not one of those people who think animals lives are somehow on par with humans but that doesn't mean their lives are worthless either. Dogs and humans have coexisted to such an extent that the relationship is very symbiotic in some cases.

Basically, pet dogs depend on humans much like a young child does for so much. No matter what state I am in, I always, always make sure my dog is well fed, gets plenty of fresh air and attention and is made feel needed. In return he gives me unconditional love and loyalty and as he's is getting on in years (12 now) a broken heart - again. Its no surprise that disturbed people take to mutilating animals as 'practice' and although not everyone who is abusive to animals is going to go on to be Hannibal Lector, the seed is probably already there. Basically, someone who harms a defenceless animal is a truly sick and depraved individual who needs monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    It does mean that there is a better chance of him becoming a killer. There are many studies to show this and other posters have provided links.
    Ach, the same could be said of so many other factors. Being the child of a single mother or from a broken marriage may be relevant, but not sure I'd bother intervening on debates on divorce with the observation that the kids could become serial killers! The issue can stand by itself without injecting a serial killing angle.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment