Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New voluntary cancer-screening service in Donegal

According to the RTÉ News, a new not-for-profit group in Donegal are to open a centre in Letterkenny to offer a breast cancer screening service for women in the area.

This is, in my opinion, a welcome development and a real sign of a community taking responsibility and not relying on the Government to take every initative. Well done Donegal.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

its a pity that they have to do this in such a rich country but fair play to those involved, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by jam_mac_jam
    its a pity that they have to do this in such a rich country but fair play to those involved, well done.
    What's to pity. Community initative is a wonderful thing. We don't need the Government to run our lives, communities are much better at these things.

bit of initiative - well done

Good stuff.

The 'richest country in Europe' yet basic health services have to be done by volunteers. You PD/FF lamebrains must be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by dubsthcentralboy
    Quote Originally Posted by jam_mac_jam
    What's to pity. Community initative is a wonderful thing. We don't need the Government to run our lives, communities are much better at these things.
    The pity is that I pay quite a bit of tax and expect not to have to rely on my community for my healthcare. What am I paying them for?

basic healthcare is hardly running your life.

What's the point
    Isn't breastcheck currently (as in even as I write this) being rolled out nationwide*?

[size=7]*breastcheck is currently available in the north-east, east, midlands and parts of the south east[/size]

The lack of Breast check services in the Northwest has been a serious problem in recent years - shamefully so.

But am I right in thinking that if diagnosed they have to travel significant distances to get proper care?
    Centres of excellence are a great idea in theory - once everyone can access them.
    Having to travel to Belfast or Galway or Dublin from Donegal is unacceptable for people and their families.

Fair dues to them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment