Register to Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54
Like Tree40Likes
  1. #1
    dancl2000 dancl2000 is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    526

    priory hall - is there a better way

    Given the priory hall situation where the residents through no fault of their own have found that massive negligence means that their homes cannot be lived in. the developer has no money to pay for the repairs.

    I'm wondering would be better off with a system more like that in france. In france builders have to carry a compulsory insurance. In the event of a structural problem in the 10 years after construction is finished, the insurance pays out to pay for repairs. The insurance pays out promptly even if liability is not clear, so inconvenience to residents is minimised.

    French construction law: make sure you are insured

    Such a system makes a lot of sense:
    - criminal penalties if the developers or sub-contrators dont have necessary insurance
    - to minimise the chance of having to pay out the insurance company makes inspections on personnel and work practices

    Why dont we have something like this in ireland ? if we did the priory hall residents would be back in their own homes by now..
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    firefly123 firefly123 is online now
    firefly123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15,097

    I'm guessing homebond was meant to be like this but like everything else was watered down in to a half arsed effort.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    SilverSpurs SilverSpurs is offline
    SilverSpurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,878

    Did the residents buy "off the plans" or did they buy them after construction?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Angler Angler is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    466

    Where were the inspectors . The body responsible for inspections owes these people big time .
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Vega1447 Vega1447 is offline
    Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,113

    Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I'm guessing homebond was meant to be like this but like everything else was watered down in to a half arsed effort.
    Funny you should mention Homebond. I was wondering today why it didn't cover the PH apartments.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    drjimryan2 drjimryan2 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,752

    bad things happen when good people do nothing........

    this should have been sorted/mediated long ago.....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    dizillusioned dizillusioned is offline
    dizillusioned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,238

    Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Funny you should mention Homebond. I was wondering today why it didn't cover the PH apartments.
    Homebond is basically useless. Not worth anything. I can say that from personal experience.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    A view from England A view from England is offline
    A view from England's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,112

    Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    Where were the inspectors . The body responsible for inspections owes these people big time .
    Spot on. Whoever was responsible from the local council building control for signing off this development should be pursued in the courts. Either they or their employer should hold indemnity insurance to cover professional misconduct.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    TODevastated TODevastated is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,632

    Quote Originally Posted by dancl2000 View Post
    Given the priory hall situation where the residents through no fault of their own have found that massive negligence means that their homes cannot be lived in. the developer has no money to pay for the repairs.

    I'm wondering would be better off with a system more like that in france. In france builders have to carry a compulsory insurance. In the event of a structural problem in the 10 years after construction is finished, the insurance pays out to pay for repairs. The insurance pays out promptly even if liability is not clear, so inconvenience to residents is minimised.

    French construction law: make sure you are insured

    Such a system makes a lot of sense:
    - criminal penalties if the developers or sub-contrators dont have necessary insurance
    - to minimise the chance of having to pay out the insurance company makes inspections on personnel and work practices

    Why dont we have something like this in ireland ? if we did the priory hall residents would be back in their own homes by now..
    it is an absolute disgrace how this has been allowed to happen-who signed off on the buildings and said that they were fit for habitation

    i guarantee however if it were Ballsbridge Hall/Blackrock Hall/Foxrock Hall the residents would be back in situ!!!

    stomach churning
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    tigerben tigerben is offline
    tigerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,736

    In every town, village and city across the country , there is problem new housing , be in fire, drainage, flooding, non existence insulation. No one of any job description , seemed to have done their job, and the council were raking in the money , giving green light again to builders that left previous estates unfinished. What other country leaves developers build houses first without putting in the shops, schools , bus stops and Communtity centres that were promised and never built. But I'm sure no one has lost their job , as soft regulation was premitted and sanction to keep the greased wheels turning.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment