Register to Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

priory hall - is there a better way

Given the priory hall situation where the residents through no fault of their own have found that massive negligence means that their homes cannot be lived in. the developer has no money to pay for the repairs.

I'm wondering would be better off with a system more like that in france. In france builders have to carry a compulsory insurance. In the event of a structural problem in the 10 years after construction is finished, the insurance pays out to pay for repairs. The insurance pays out promptly even if liability is not clear, so inconvenience to residents is minimised.

French construction law: make sure you are insured

Such a system makes a lot of sense:
    - criminal penalties if the developers or sub-contrators dont have necessary insurance
    - to minimise the chance of having to pay out the insurance company makes inspections on personnel and work practices

Why dont we have something like this in ireland ? if we did the priory hall residents would be back in their own homes by now..
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'm guessing homebond was meant to be like this but like everything else was watered down in to a half arsed effort.

Did the residents buy "off the plans" or did they buy them after construction?

Where were the inspectors . The body responsible for inspections owes these people big time .

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I'm guessing homebond was meant to be like this but like everything else was watered down in to a half arsed effort.
    Funny you should mention Homebond. I was wondering today why it didn't cover the PH apartments.

bad things happen when good people do nothing........

this should have been sorted/mediated long ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Funny you should mention Homebond. I was wondering today why it didn't cover the PH apartments.
    Homebond is basically useless. Not worth anything. I can say that from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    Where were the inspectors . The body responsible for inspections owes these people big time .
    Spot on. Whoever was responsible from the local council building control for signing off this development should be pursued in the courts. Either they or their employer should hold indemnity insurance to cover professional misconduct.

Quote Originally Posted by dancl2000 View Post
    Given the priory hall situation where the residents through no fault of their own have found that massive negligence means that their homes cannot be lived in. the developer has no money to pay for the repairs.

I'm wondering would be better off with a system more like that in france. In france builders have to carry a compulsory insurance. In the event of a structural problem in the 10 years after construction is finished, the insurance pays out to pay for repairs. The insurance pays out promptly even if liability is not clear, so inconvenience to residents is minimised.

French construction law: make sure you are insured

Such a system makes a lot of sense:
    - criminal penalties if the developers or sub-contrators dont have necessary insurance
    - to minimise the chance of having to pay out the insurance company makes inspections on personnel and work practices

Why dont we have something like this in ireland ? if we did the priory hall residents would be back in their own homes by now..
    it is an absolute disgrace how this has been allowed to happen-who signed off on the buildings and said that they were fit for habitation

i guarantee however if it were Ballsbridge Hall/Blackrock Hall/Foxrock Hall the residents would be back in situ!!!

stomach churning

In every town, village and city across the country , there is problem new housing , be in fire, drainage, flooding, non existence insulation. No one of any job description , seemed to have done their job, and the council were raking in the money , giving green light again to builders that left previous estates unfinished. What other country leaves developers build houses first without putting in the shops, schools , bus stops and Communtity centres that were promised and never built. But I'm sure no one has lost their job , as soft regulation was premitted and sanction to keep the greased wheels turning.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment