Register to Comment
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Quote Originally Posted by truthforsooth View Post
    We'll have the usual suspects popping up with screams of "crusties", "professional protestors", "mad Maura" and so on any minute, but for those who wonder what the heck is going on at the site of the Corrib gas project, here is a little insight into civil war in Ireland.
    Recent evidence of covert surveillance activity by Shell's security company for the Corrib gas project emerged through the (apparently accidental) forwarding of an email to the wrong person. The email gave some detail of the operation that has been in place for some time whereby a private security firm are recording details of the movements and whereabouts of local residents and visitors to the area.
    The following is a subsequent news release by Cork Shell to Sea:

This week Shell to Sea received further evidence of the surveillance operation that has been mounted by private security firm IRMS against campaigners opposed to the Corrib Gas project. The evidence consists of scans of pages from two IRMS notebooks that contain notes taken by IRMS personnel between April and June 2010. These scans of the notebooks can be viewed here: IRMS Notebooks 2010 - Detailing covert surveillance operation | Shell to Sea

Among the notes made was one which stated "VU Covert Camera Not in Box I-RMS 10" and also how the security went on the 5th June 2010 (while a gathering was taking place at Rossport Solidarity Camp) to “gather intel” and to take “Pics and names if possible”. The names of three campaigners are noted in one of the books.

The notebooks make it clear that IRMS are profiling people in the area and that they are also using covert cameras. In 2008, the parish priest of Kilcommon, Fr Michael Nallen told the Irish Times: “I saw them [the security personnel] with small cameras, running around the security hut. As far as I could see in my mirror they took a photograph and noted my car registration .... This is a form of intimidation and harassment with photographs being taken.”

The emergence of the IRMS notebooks follows on from last week’s disclosure that IRMS is carrying out a highly detailed 24-hour surveillance operation on campaigners against the Corrib Gas Project. Proof of this came to light as an IRMS “situation report” for the 29th June 2012, which listed the movements of the Rossport Solidarity Camp members over a 24-hour period was inadvertently forwarded to an outside email. This IRMS report can be viewed here:
    IRMS Situtation Report from 29th June 2012 | Shell to Sea

Shell to Sea spokesperson Maura Harrrington said: “We now have proof that alongside the obvious overt surveillance, Shell and Statoil, through IRMS, have been carrying out a covert surveillance operation in the area. What we have here is further proof that a private security army is operating within the state. A private company is in control of an immense and undisclosed volume of information on the movements and God knows what else, of people who live and travel in this area.”

Glengad resident Eamon Murphy, one of those mentioned in the IRMS notebooks, said: “IRMS has been acting with impunity in the area for over four years now and have been given free reign by the Gardaí and the Private Security Authority. For two days this week IRMS have been over at Glenamoy cross-roads stopping traffic with not a Garda in sight. We have seen time and again Gardaí and indeed Mayo County Council taking orders from IRMS. We are demanding an explanation from Jim Farrell and IRMS, Supt Diskin of Belmullet Garda station and Peter Hynes in Mayo County Council.”
    sure dont the shell to sea lads engage in covert and not so covert surveillance themselves

wasnt one of their leader done for stalking or somesuch ?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    Labour supported Shell to Sea .... until they came to power. They supported the poor....until they came to power.
    They were against paying the bondholders ....until they came to power.

Do you see a pattern here? Sinn Féin do.
    And in the unlikely event of Sinn Féin ever getting to power, they'll find that slogans like Pearse Doherty's "No Ar$e-Territory" is about as meaningful as Harney's "Fair Care"

Quote Originally Posted by Lar G Rection View Post
    Our banks are their debts were nationalised with the stoke of a pen late at night, the same should happen to ALL of OUR oil and gas reserves.
    Shhhhhh.... Keep quiet and let shell build the damn pipe first.

No nation was ever stupid enough to nationalise resources before the foreign industralists completed the capital infrastructure to exploit it.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    And in the unlikely event of Sinn Féin ever getting to power, they'll find that slogans like Pearse Doherty's "No Ar$e-Territory" is about as meaningful as Harney's "Fair Care"
    You may be right and we'll probably find out before too long, but every dog gets one bite. Labour have had theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    That daft metro-style tunnel they made Shell build will cost Shell about 700 million. It will be the countries only metro tunnel and it will be under a bog in mayo, and contain only a pipe.

The cost is fully tax deductible - meaning we pay for it. Ever wonder why Dublin doesn't have a metro? Because first we have to pay for Shell-to-sea's metro in a bog in Mayo.

I've had drinks with Shell engineers who are literally laughing a the stupidity of Ireland.
    You're one of the many reasons why I will never vote Labour again.

I was nowhere near Mayo last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    You're one of the many reasons why I will never vote Labour again.
    The sanity scares you off, eh Bonkers?

Quote Originally Posted by zippo222 View Post
    I was nowhere near Mayo last summer.
    Do you work for RTE?

Quote Originally Posted by John Biffo View Post
    Correct, bunch of crazies who rarely worked a day in their live.

Cut the dole from the cruuuunthes ,that would disperse them.
    Ah yes, dear John.
    I remember when you first came scampering into the fray like a baby football hooligan dying to kick someone in the head.
    How you've grown. Not. You're still spouting the same uninformed garbage as a few years ago. I think my retort to you at the time was something like "read a book. Any book." Who knows, with a little help you just might outgrow your ignorance. But the first step to recovery is admitting you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    With respect, if Shell had not started the project by drawing lines on maps with utter disregard to the indigenous population, gas would be flowing by now.
    If Shell had paid every landowner along the route of the pipeline a lot more money then it would definitely be going by now. I'd say a lot of moral objections would have disappeared if large sums of moolah had been waved under their noses. It would have saved them money in the long run.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment