Register to Comment
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    MMG was involved in subverting the sectarian, bigoted, unjust NI state.

The ANC have been accused of corruption. Moreover,

Umkhonto we Sizwe (or MK), translated "Spear of the Nation", was the military wing of the ANC. Partly in response to the Sharpeville Massacre of 1960, individual members of the ANC found it necessary to consider violence to combat what passive protest had failed to quell. There was a significant portion of the ANC who therefore turned to violence in order to achieve their goals. A significant portion of ANC leadership agreed that this violence was needed to combat increasing backlash from the government. Some ANC members were upset by the actions of the MK, and refused to accept violence as necessary for the ending of Apartheid, but these individuals became a minority as the militant leaders such as Nelson Mandela gained significant popularity. Many consider their actions to be criminal, but the MK deemed the means justified by the end goal of ending apartheid. The MK committed terrorist acts to achieve their aims, and MK was responsible for the deaths of both civilians and members of the military. Acts of terrorism committed by the MK include the Church Street bombing. In cooperation with the South African Communist Party, MK was founded in 1961.
    Will you shusshhhh.. stop pointing out to nice middle class posters who never had a clue, that Nelson was a terrorist.. next they'll be amazed to find out that he was also BFF with Ghaddafi

"Embracing Gaddafi as he stepped off the plane with his harem of female bodyguards (video below), the venerated Nelson Mandela would go on to toast his “brother leader” in a speech where he denied South Africa would ever “turn its back” on Libya:

I shall therefore take the liberty to invite our guests to rise and raise their glasses with me in salute to Muamar Qaddafi, our Brother Leader of the Revolution of the Libyan Jamahariya"

Nelson Mandela's love for Colonel Gaddafi | Political Scrapbook
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post

The GFA is the will of the Irish people. It provides a clear and agreed pathway to a UI.
    The GFA will never lead to a UI. Firstly the economic situation both North and South is the only focus of people for the next 15 years. With NI costing the Brits 9 billion a year I cannot see how a majority of the people in the south would want to take that cost on board. As an economic model NI is a bag of spanners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I must say I always thought Miriam was reasonably fair in her treatment of the Northern conflict

But even if you are right, and doubtlessly many in the southern media do approach the republican movement from a certain negative perspective, this should not dissuade McGuinness and others from arguing their case in a reasoned manner.

The public aren't fools (well by and large) and if an interviewer is being unfair they will see it.

It's clear from the presidential election that many, like me, still have major concerns about the past of many SF figures and the onus is on them to put their actions into a context that can be understood in the south, if the party is to progress furthur.
    I think that SF should not be aiming to convince you as a potential future voter to change your mind on SF's past. The key is to persuade you that SF is right for the future. That requires you to see that SF have the right values and so you can see where SF came from even if you disagreed with that.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzerb View Post
    The GFA will never lead to a UI. Firstly the economic situation both North and South is the only focus of people for the next 15 years. With NI costing the Brits 9 billion a year I cannot see how a majority of the people in the south would want to take that cost on board. As an economic model NI is a bag of spanners.
    I agree fully with you on the economic point - that is why building up the economy north of the border is a necessity for the case for a UI to be made successfully.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    I think that SF should not be aiming to convince you to change your mind on SF's past. The key is to persuade you that SF is right for the future. That requires you to see that SF have the right values and so you can see where SF came from even if you disagreed with that.
    If anyone can unravel their policies regarding the economy they might have a chance of persuading people. For me they are off the wall

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    Didn't see the show, but Miriam is so self-evidently the heir to Gaybo it makes my teeth hurt that RTE can't see it.

She's able to handle the soft stuff and the weighty stuff, and most crucially is able to switch between the two tones effortlessly. She soooooooooooo obviously should be doing the LLS it's not true.

Meanwhile, Tubridy should be doing the shows she does now (ex PT, natch). For example, Miriam presented RTE's New Year's Eve show this year. WTF? That is clearly, clearly, clearly the kind of show Tubridy should be doing. His fidgety, Letterman-lite schtick is spot-on for a show like that, with house band and monologues and all the rest. Miriam looked too much like a grown-up doing it and it just didn't fit.

But RTE has Miriam doing that and Tubridy doing the Late Late. Totally arse-ways. Institutional inertia will ensure it's too late to change though.
    H.R , I am unsure whether to treat view this post as a lampoon or a genuine love letter to Miriam. totally confused..for my money I reckon Craig Doyle is better than both.

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Wasn't a bad interview.. but why does Miriam O Callaghan insist on trying to answer her own questions ?

Plus, why do people in the media consistently ask people like Gerry Adams and Martin Mc Guinness why they didn't take the "John Hume route" from the beginning and get involved in the Civil Rights Movement ..

This is how the Establishment in Northern Ireland dealt with the Civil Rights Movement.. in 1968.. 4 years before the British Army opened fire with live rounds on a Civil Rights march in Derry

Civil Rights March in Derry - YouTube

What the Irish media don't seem to realise, is that John Hume was vilified and hated by the Establishment in the 6 counties right throughout the Civil Rights campaign..

He only became a "political darling" of the Irish and British Governments, when the IRA campaign of fighting back began, because they wanted people to support a "political" resolution.. without admitting that they missed the boat when that solution was being asked for.. in effect they left the genie out of the bottle and only made John Hume a hero, when they were trying to get the genie back in..

Is it beyond most peoples comprehension to understand that... or will Miriam O Callaghan continue to ask really stupid questions without acknowledging what happened Hume when he tried to go.. the "peaceful route" ?
    rockofcashel,
    yes - the video would make you angry looking at it. But look at the demonstrators' posters for "One Man One vote" - do you actually know that that was introduced the next year, 1969? Was John Hume vilified because he was succeeding? The civil rights movement had 100% support - as did defending nationalist areas. But an aggressive campaign of bombing and killing was just wrong, and no amount of revisionism will ever make it right.

And the consequences will be longterm - the Stormont parliament had the authority to consent to a united Ireland. That parliament was suspended amidst the violence and now a referendum is required. A nationalist majority in Stormont would have been able to transfer the North into a united Ireland - now it can't, there has to be a referendum (and that is very unlikely to pass - 7% in favour if a vote was held tomorrow according to the most recent poll). You will never see a united Ireland because of the actions of the Provisional IRA.

Homosexuality was legalised through the courts in the 6 counties, despite Paisley's "Save Ulster from Sodomy" campaign. Do you seriously believe that Catholic civil rights required violence to achieve but gay rights didn't? It's just not credible. (And possibly the IRA policy of murdering Catholic judges was a deliberate attempt to prevent civil rights being achieved through the courts - Catholic judges who had put Paisley in jail were murdered by the IRA)

5 years after the video above was shot there was a nationalist mayor of Derry for the first time since 1923 - and that was nothing to do with the IRA and everything to do with the civil rights movement.

Quote Originally Posted by DeGaulle 2.0 View Post
    rockofcashel,
    yes - the video would make you angry looking at it. But look at the demonstrators' posters for "One Man One vote" - do you actually know that that was introduced the next year, 1969? Was John Hume vilified because he was succeeding? The civil rights movement had 100% support - as did defending nationalist areas. But an aggressive campaign of bombing and killing was just wrong, and no amount of revisionism will ever make it right.

And the consequences will be longterm - the Stormont parliament had the authority to consent to a united Ireland. That parliament was suspended amidst the violence and now a referendum is required. A nationalist majority in Stormont would have been able to transfer the North into a united Ireland - now it can't, there has to be a referendum (and that is very unlikely to pass - 7% in favour if a vote was held tomorrow according to the most recent poll). You will never see a united Ireland because of the actions of the Provisional IRA.

Homosexuality was legalised through the courts in the 6 counties, despite Paisley's "Save Ulster from Sodomy" campaign. Do you seriously believe that Catholic civil rights required violence to achieve but gay rights didn't? It's just not credible. (And possibly the IRA policy of murdering Catholic judges was a deliberate attempt to prevent civil rights being achieved through the courts - Catholic judges who had put Paisley in jail were murdered by the IRA)

5 years after the video above was shot there was a nationalist mayor of Derry for the first time since 1923 - and that was nothing to do with the IRA and everything to do with the civil rights movement.
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

What you're saying is that if only Catholics could have accepted living under an unjust regime they could have voted themselves into a UI at some point in the future.

Hilarious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chriskavo View Post
    H.R , I am unsure whether to treat view this post as a lampoon or a genuine love letter to Miriam. totally confused..for my money I reckon Craig Doyle is better than both.
    O'Callaghan - woeful
    Tubridy - woeful
    Doyle - off the charts woeful

Quote Originally Posted by fitzerb View Post
    If I heard right during the week the percentage of people living in NI who want an United Ireland is 7% on the last poll, SF better have a very long hand of friendship to achieve 51%
    37pc want a UI within the next 20 years.

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment