Like Tree94Likes
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Pat Rabbitte I'd say

After tonight it has to be Enda.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
    demagogues tend to be talented speakers
    I wouldn't think of Paisley as a political orator at all. He was just your typical fundamentalist religious eejit. There's a dozen of them in every little town in middle america who just spout everything through a pre programmed religious mindset rehashing biblical quotes written in the Middle East thousands of years ago. It\s a pretty generic format really. I wouldn't even classify it as oratory.

Has to be Joe Higgins. Standard ain't high.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Hank Tree View Post
    Pat Rabbitte I'd say
    Plump bunny ?. eh, No. I don't think so. Lots of bluster. And that would be the height of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Poynt View Post
    I had the privilege of hearing many of these people speak both in the Dail and publicly.

I only heard James Dillon speak towards the end of his parliamentary career. He was a brilliant orator, with a deep booming voice and a strong educated (posh, even) mid-Irish Sea accent. He regularly spoke un-scripted and used all the techniques of an orator - sophistry, theatrics, cadence, erudition, wit, volume, flourish and the slow tapping of his finger.

Dillon was a colossus who dominated his audience and such was the force of his personality that he attracted many a political foe just for the sheer pleasure of listening to him.

Only saw him in the latter years of his public life, he still had the ability to mesmerise, excite and rouse an audience.

A true Demosthenes.
    Is there any accessible recording of the great James Dillon in action? I have heard how good he was, and was going to mention him to this effect, but apart from a short clip of him talking to camera on the Seven Ages programme, I have never heard him speaking. I would love to hear one of his great speeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    I remember Robin Cook's resignation speech as Foreign Secretary. It was brilliant.
    Please don't taint the memory of that great man by placing his name among the gombeen extraordinaires of the Republic!lol

Seriously though, Cooks resignation speech is incredible and is available on youtube for those curious. I have welled up once watching it, a true man of principle. On a side note despite his condascending technique of speaking William Hague is a comedic genius, check out his lampooning of Blair(regarding the EU presidency.

My two cent on the Irish orator would be Eamonn McCann from Derry. Diff politics from my own but great old skool communicator. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    Has to be Joe Higgins. Standard ain't high.
    You have to be joking, he’s a mega bore with a boring voice that doesn’t really have a lot to say but takes all day to say it. And without clichés he wouldn’t be able to say anything.

Dustin the Turkey.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment