Register to Comment
Page 1 of 26 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thousands of Nigerians have had their applications for Irish passports returned

Thousands of Nigerians recently granted citizenship in Ireland have had their applications for Irish passports returned.

Metro Éireann has learned that the Passport Office doubts that some of the documents supplied with the applications, such as birth and marriage certificates, are genuine – despite being accepted by the Department of Justice in granting them citizenship.

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade told Metro Éireann that the Passport Office “is obligated under the Passport Act to satisfy itself as to the authenticity of documentation provided to establish the identity of applicants.

“Authenticating documents can be complicated in the case of a number of countries due to different factors, including variations in document quality, variations in document standardisation; and, the lack of a range of security features in documents.

“In order for the Passport Office to satisfy itself as to the authenticity of documents it can be necessary to carry out additional checks,” the spokesperson added.
    Metro Eireann

Like WTF????

The Dept of Justice under Alan Shatter has issued of thousands of Irish Citizenship certificates to people from Nigeria

- and yet the Passport Office says that the documents submitted to them to issue Passports on the back of these certs are dodgy!!!

One wonders what kinds of checks did the DOJ carry out in the granting of Irish Citizenship - or did they carry out anything more than a cursory examination of what paperwork was submitted by the appelents?

One wonders if the Nigerians who cannot prove that they are who they say they are to the satisfaction of the Passport authorities to be stripped of their new found 'Irish' Citizenship?

Or will the PO be told to quietly drop their inquiries in order to avoid an embarrassing scandal involving Minister Alan Shatter dishing out Irish passports to thousands of chancers?

Metro Eireann
    Last edited by Catalpa; 9th May 2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

What am I reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeady View Post
    What am I reading?
    The Truth

- according to ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    The Truth

- according to ME!
    Whew!

At this rate it's obviously lucky for Cardinal Brady that he's white - there'd be a big gap in his defenders otherwise!

Predictably, according to ME report, some of the new "Irish" affected complain of "wacism" in being asked for genuine documents. No surprises there. That claim has worked well in the past.

However the real story here is the potential of another Pamela Scamela scandel but on epic proportions this time. Thousands naturalised as Irish citizens may have submitted questionable documentation. Are Shatter and likeminded politicians, vested interested migrant groups and lovers of all things pc in the "medja" likely to keep decidedly mum about this?

Is there any politician worth his or her salt willing to speak up about this and find out what is going on? Guaranteed to be a vote winner in spite of all manner of insults likely to be flung by the "anti-wacist" crowd.
    Last edited by Dr Pat; 9th May 2012 at 06:16 PM.

The govt appears to be undermining the integrity of the Irish passport system.

Why are we giving thousands of Irish passports to Nigerians, if they have Nigerian passports already?

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The govt appears to be undermining the integrity of the Irish passport system.
    There should be No more of these lavish ceremonies handing out hundreds of Irish passports at a time until this mess is cleared up

If Shatter is found to be trying to fast track the Citizen application process to win political kudos but that undermine the integrity of the Irish passport on the International stage

- then he should Resign

- or be sacked for Incompetence!

Of course I know I am asking a lot calling for Ministerial responsibility from a Cabinet Minister

- but hey there is always a first time....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pat View Post
    Predictably, according to ME report, some of the new "Irish" affected complain of "wacism" in being asked for genuine documents. No surprises there. That claim has worked well in the past.

However the real story here is the potential of another Pamela Scamela scandel but on epic proportions this time. Thousands naturalised as Irish citizens may have submitted questionable documentation. Are Shatter and likeminded politicians, vested interested migrant groups and lovers of all things pc in the "medja" likely to keep decidedly mum about this?

Is there any politician worth his or her salt willing to speak up about this and find out what is going on? Guaranteed to be a vote winner in spite of all manner of insults likely to be flung by the "anti-wacist" crowd.
    I have said this before on this site:

Approx 80% of Nigerians in Ireland are not who they claim to be!!

This article is no surprise to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gal Gréine View Post
    Why are we giving thousands of Irish passports to Nigerians, if they have Nigerian passports already?
    Why, they are now Irish citizens also, albeit it might turn out to be on false documentation which was accepted by the Dept of Justice.
    Last edited by Dr Pat; 10th May 2012 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 26 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment