Register to Comment
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Like Tree181Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    Thousands of Nigerians recently granted citizenship in Ireland have had their applications for Irish passports returned.
    [I]
    Metro Éireann has learned that the Passport Office doubts that some of the documents supplied with the applications, such as birth and marriage certificates, are genuine – despite being accepted by the Department of Justice in granting them citizenship.

Like WTF????

The Dept of Justice under Alan Shatter has issued of thousands of Irish Citizenship certificates to people from Nigeria

- and yet the Passport Office says that the documents submitted to them to issue Passports on the back of these certs are dodgy!!!

One wonders what kinds of checks did the DOJ carry out in the granting of Irish Citizenship - or did they carry out anything more than a cursory examination of what paperwork was submitted by the appelents?
    Of course one wonders.

Indeed the whole affair is a thing of wonder.

One wonders if the Nigerians who cannot prove that they are who they say they are to the satisfaction of the Passport authorities to be stripped of their new found 'Irish' Citizenship?
    But of course they are who they say they are.
    It is simply impossible that they could be anybody else.

Or will the PO be told to quietly drop their inquiries in order to avoid an embarrassing scandal involving Minister Alan Shatter dishing out Irish passports to thousands of chancers?

Metro Eireann
    Im afraid you have misread the diplomatic position entirely.

The Irish DOF in addition to granting Irish passports to all these people will now, in order to resolve all outstanding matters, also issue them with authenticated Nigerian passports as well.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Shatter is a traitor for doing his country such an injustice and putting another financial burden on the ordinary citizens of Ireland. Did he really think that these Nigerians many of whom are of corpulent stature and dripping in gold were actual genuine asylum seekers and were going to be good for the Irish economy or had he other motives for giving them naturalisation?
    Last edited by TARZAN; 13th June 2016 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    Are any Nigerian/Irish citizens homeless now? I dunno, just wondered as I often do.
    Funny I should chance upon your post...

... Yesterday I took one my rare bus-trips into town. As I got off the bus at Bachelors Walk I noticed a Black guy asleep in a sleeping bag at the top of the steps up to no. 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    Pretty much the same attitudes.

I'm sure I'll be condemned roundly for saying what is on my mind but having lived in the most multicultural borough in Europe for best part of two decades and having worked with many people of many nationalities the one thing I do know is that there is a culture in Nigeria probably because of extreme poverty and corruption that means I think back and realise I have personally worked with probably about a dozen Nigerians down the years and of that dozen there was really only one I'd put my wallet down near. And come to think of it she was a muslim from the north of Nigeria. The rest I wouldn't trust an inch.
    Nigerians are regarded with suspicion not only by white Europeans but by Africans from other states just as much.

And that view is shared by many Kenyans, South Africans and Ugandans I am well aware. Pity that a people have to be viewed in that way but that culture of scamming and lying is very evident in Nigerian culture.
    Forty years ago this year I was beginning my studies at a UK redbrick with a fair proportion of overseas students. During "freshers week" I attended several introductory junkets who's main aim was to induce new undergrads to join various clubs and societies etc.

I noticed that I'd seen the same group of maybe seven or eight black guys/girls at a few of these events and they always appeared to be "alone in their own company" if you understand what I mean, even other Africans seemed to cut them dead.

I raised the subject with one of the residents of my halls, a Kenyan (called Tom, believe it or not!) and he laughed fit to burst and - in an admirable display of reverse-racism () proceeded to lecture me on the naivete of "White" Europeans:

Even "dumb" Africans (he told me) recognise that the Spanish are different to the Swedes, That Ireland is different to Italy, and Portugal is nothing like Poland. But Europeans think all Africans are exactly the same!

The "outsiders", he said, were Nigerians, and from Tunis to Cape Town, from Dakar to Djibouti no-one, NO-ONE wants anything to do with Nigerians!

Over the next few months "Tom" took every opportunity to demonstrate the accuracy of his summation by showing me stories in the English-language Kenyan newspapers he was sent.

Quote Originally Posted by papaquebec View Post
    Funny I should chance upon your post...

... Yesterday I took one my rare bus-trips into town. As I got off the bus at Bachelors Walk I noticed a Black guy asleep in a sleeping bag at the top of the steps up to no. 14.
    The bus was that late?

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment