Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

No.

I didn't vote for him either.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Feckin leprechaun with the pot of gold give us a sense of pride

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    I came across this article whilst browsing. It's a poll in Scotland which identified that the majority of Scots get a greater feeling of national pride from Billy Connolly than the Queen( and no this isn't a Lizzie bashing bread before you respond). That got me wondering do we get a sense of national pride from our President or do we get it more from other characters, if at all. for example would the likes of Bono, Robbie Keane or Brendan Gleeson provide it more than President Higgins.

For me , well President Higgins seems to have been largely anonymous since the election. I suppose thats how it was always going to be but with the Mary's having elevated the office to such heights I thought he might continue. perhaps he still might

Just curious as to what others think.

Billy Connolly more popular than the Queen in Scotland, according to poll on national identity - The Daily Record
    Yes, he does actually. I love the way the president can flow from English to Gaeilge to English to Gaeilge without missing a beat. I hope he has the opportunity to address the UN and do that there.

No , quite the opposite in fact as he reminds me of the power of the media and the select few who control it , seeing as he was chosen annointed and appointed by RTE

Quote Originally Posted by shoneen View Post
    On a personal level. Not really. The fact that we can actually vote for our head-of-state? Some.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Roisin3 View Post
    Yes, he does actually. I love the way the president can flow from English to Gaeilge to English to Gaeilge without missing a beat. I hope he has the opportunity to address the UN and do that there.
    I love the way my family can flow from English to français without missing a beat. I am mildly ashamed that, unlike my kiddos, I cannot flow from English to français to Italiano without missing a beat. It's my educational shortcomings.

Maybe you could learn some gaeilge and become a president one day. Then people would be saying; "I love the way Róisín 3 can flow from English to Gaeilge to English to Gaeilge without missing a beat."

Quote Originally Posted by shoneen View Post
    On a personal level. Not really. The fact that we can actually vote for our head-of-state? Some.
    I feel much the same, I'm completely indifferent to him being our President. I have neither a positive or negative view of him, a slightly pompous but inoffensive figure who's just getting on with the job that he was elected to do.

I think Michael D is doing fine. I still think he is overpaid. About half of his salary would be plenty. In the old days the wife/husband of the President was rarely seen and attended very few functions. Now there seems to be some concept that the partner of the President is very important. This started with Martin McAleese. I have told my wife that if she ever becomes President I will be attending very few functions.

Oh yeah, Michael D is the president. Hadn't really noticed, except for that clip of him in the stands at Euro 2012 when the directors assumed the tall bloke next to him was the leader and put him centre of the frame with Michael D half-hidden to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    For me , well President Higgins seems to have been largely anonymous since the election. I suppose thats how it was always going to be but with the Mary's having elevated the office to such heights I thought he might continue. perhaps he still might
    "Mary's" ? ?? I understand what Robinson did by putting the dent back in President, as in ... she had an effect ! but what in the name of jehovah did the other one do? A fourteen year snorefest, while she slowly hammered the nails back into the lid of the presidential coffin

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment