Register to Comment
Page 14 of 105 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 64 ... LastLast
Like Tree288Likes

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    I think it'll be a lot higher. Typical Irish habit of doing it all at the last minute. You don't pay any tax until you have to.
    I think it will be a good bit lower. There's been a big media heave over the last few days, hance the small surge in payments from those who always intended to pay. I don't think that rate of payment will keep up for the next 2 1/2 weeks. The February pay cheque, the last one before the deadline for many people, will be wearing fairly thin by the end of the month. Also, there was no big surge for the Feb 29th deadline for stages payments.
    35-40% at most I'd say. A catastrophoc failure for the government. Even 50-60% would be dismal.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I think it'll be a lot higher. Typical Irish habit of doing it all at the last minute. You don't pay any tax until you have to.
    seemingly there has been queues at our Local Authority office since monday to pay this charge

They have until the 31st March so the new pay cheque will be available. The last minute rush example I used some weeks back was the free cash of the SSIA. Despite that, IIRC an awful lot were set up in the last few weeks and I reckon there'll be something similar here, especially by those who see that €100 by 31st March is preferable to €100+ ?? after that.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    seemingly there has been queues at our Local Authority office since monday to pay this charge
    Could you post up one of the many photos of these queues or failing that, some of the many links reporting these phenomena?

Or even better still - stop waffling!

Not surprised personally if this is true. TBH checking numbers in Jan or even Feb ignores the fact that quite a lot of us are just not organised. The Govt are also likely to up the number of ads over these few weeks.

Low I–Queue people!

Has the Household charge sparked the long awaited revolution!
    I believe this sentence perfectly encapsulates everything that is silly about this website.

Household Charge - irrelevent to the majority of people
    Revolution - absurd anachronism
    Long Awaited - fantastical narcissism
    Exclamation Mark - so you know it's a question...presumably

They have until the 31st March so the new pay cheque will be available. The last minute rush example I used some weeks back was the free cash of the SSIA. Despite that, IIRC an awful lot were set up in the last few weeks and I reckon there'll be something similar here, especially by those who see that 100 by 31st March is preferable to 100+ ?? after that.
    It's 100 + 10 .
    And that's where the government really fukked up big time. There is absolutely no incentive to pay this on time. There is virtually no cost to making a stand. That's why I think your comparisions to the SSIA don't really hold. That was literally a queue for free money.

The example was more to highlight that we didn't get out of our usual torpor, even for free money, until the closing date. I agree about making a stand but being fined for non-payment of a tax/charge is anathema to some and will prod them into it. I actually don't think it matters when people pay this year as the clear aim is to get people into the system.

Serious panic on the part of the state over this. I heard Kerry County Manager Tom Curran on radio this morning telling people that their beaches would become dumps and that if your house was on fire nobody would come if people didn't pay the charge.

Ok, I've exagerated this somewhat, but he was predicting all sorts of mayhem, chaos and disorder!

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment