Register to Comment
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibby
  • 2 Post By yapyap

What is the law on squatting in Ireland?

I was reading the story below, and was wondering what the law on squatting is in Ireland? While I understand that squatting is quite prevalent in the UK I am not clear whether it can also be done in Ireland, or if its been done in this systematic way already? With the number of homes vacant in Ireland and no sign of rents falling yet, surely squatting is understandable?

The alleged tenancy agreement.

An immigration officer [UK Border Agency] returned home to find [Romanian] gipsies had moved in, ransacked the place and dressed in her clothes. Julia High was even offered a glass of her own wine by the Romanian squatters.
    They claimed they had rented the property from her ‘son’ because she had died, and produced a set of fake documents. Miss High, 55, has no son. The family of five adults and three children had ripped up carpets, emptied the fridge and dumped her belongings in bin bags in the garden of her £270,000 home... She secured a county court eviction order the next day and police removed the family. But she has been forced to stay with friends during repairs, and fears it will be weeks before she can return.

She said: ‘These people have just trashed 30 years of my life and thrown it into bin bags. It is soul-destroying.’
    Gypsies move into immigration officer's home while she was at Proms | Mail Online
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
    I was reading the story below, and was wondering what the law on squatting is in Ireland? While I understand that squatting is quite prevalent in the UK I am not clear whether it can also be done in Ireland, or if its been done in this systematic way already? With the number of homes vacant in Ireland and no sign of rents falling yet, surely squatting is understandable?
    12 years if i remember for squatters rights.

Sometimes violence is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLion

12 years if i remember for squatters rights.
    12 years of continuous unbroken possession without fraud or force. 30 years in case of land owned by the State.

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin View Post
    Sometimes violence is the only answer.
    Nah they are Romanian gipsies, they are a superstitious bunch. Just draw a pentagram with goats blood and they will leave soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    12 years of continuous unbroken possession without fraud or force. 30 years in case of land owned by the State.
    yes i heard of a guy who was squatting on the land of his aunt for 11 years and decided to sell it. The aunt had intented to give the land to about 7 other family members in her will as well as the man. if only he had waited 12 more months, he would have got 240,000 for it(pre 2008)

Squatting is very popular in China. You see people do it everywhere in public - at bus stops, train stations, even in bars and restaraunts. I don't think it's a major issure in Ireland though.

The Brits are squatting here for the past 800 yrs

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment