Register to Comment
Page 1 of 22 123 11 ... LastLast

Where's the best country to emigrate to?

I'm fairly young, and luckily don't have a mortgage or other major financial ties to this country.

I love Ireland, but the idea of paying taxes for the rest of my working life, not towards creating a decent society, but towards paying for the catastrophic mistakes of a group of people of whom I had no point nor gained any benefit, I find soul-crushing.

I'm seriously beginning to consider getting out of here and moving somewhere where the political and economic systems are working at even a basic level. What regions or countries should young people consider making a better life in?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

How's your Norwegian?

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    I'm fairly young, and luckily don't have a mortgage or other major financial ties to this country.

I love Ireland, but the idea of paying taxes for the rest of my working life, not towards creating a decent society, but towards paying for the catastrophic mistakes of a group of people of whom I had no point nor gained any benefit, I find soul-crushing.

I'm seriously beginning to consider getting out of here and moving somewhere where the political and economic systems are working at even a basic level. What regions or countries should young people consider making a better life in?
    Australia and Canada are best right now. However in one you will freeze and in the other you may be in danger of melting

Quote Originally Posted by fun tzu View Post
    How's your Norwegian?
    Not the strongest. I wouldn't think a super-rich closed country like that would have much interest in this Irish immigrant, anyways

Quote Originally Posted by fun tzu View Post
    How's your Norwegian?
    Pints are over 10 euro a pop. High taxes. Good welfare & pensions. I'll start learning it when I am 55 so can move for the pension.

Me, I've always been angling towards Germany and/or Switzerland. France and Holland are good too. Norway, Finland, Sweden and Singapore all have their attractions. If yer an inveterate anglophone, Canada is probably your best bet - UK, US, Oz and NZ all have their problems and turbulent times ahead. If you enjoy the challenge of an emerging nation, then one of the BRICs, Vietnam or Malaysia may all be nice places to be for the next 10 years.

Loads of options really, just depends on your skillset and the kind of lifestyle you are into. Don't let people tell you "Ah sure there's nothing out there" - some of the world is in deep crisis through atrocious economic and financial mismanagement. But plenty of places are doing OK - just not the usual traditional destinations for Irish emigrants.

Good luck finding a country with lower taxes than Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Me, I've always been angling towards Germany and/or Switzerland. France and Holland are good too. Norway, Finland, Sweden and Singapore all have their attractions. If yer an inveterate anglophone, Canada is probably your best bet - UK, US, Oz and NZ all have their problems and turbulent times ahead. If you enjoy the challenge of an emerging nation, then one of the BRICs, Vietnam or Malaysia may all be nice places to be for the next 10 years.
    Thanks. I've travelled to a good few countries over the past five or six years, and when I was in China I certainly thought that this was the place to be if you wanted to be at the centre of the world's emerging power. But nowhere beats Europe for culture and lifestyle, and I have a bit of the language (not fluent, but something to start with) so perhaps la belle France might be the ultimate place to look at. I really like Germans and Germany but unfortunately can't speak a word of the vernacular so probably best to avoid.

I feel sad and even a bit guilty wanting to leave, but the social contract is meant to mean that the individual citizen contributed towards the community and the state in return for a provision of decent basic services. I'm more than happy to live in a social democratic state with relatively high taxes, but in this country the State has broken its side of the social contract for at least the next decade and possibly longer, so why should I feel indebted to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus View Post
    Good luck finding a country with lower taxes than Ireland.
    My preference would be a European social democracy, i.e relatively high taxes for good services.

Another valid and reasonable option is the US model, i.e. low taxes and low services.

What is not fair or reasonable is what we are going to be asked to put up with for the medium to long-term future, i.e. high taxes to service the nationalised debt of speculators.

I feel sad and even a bit guilty wanting to leave, but the social contract is meant to mean that the individual citizen contributed towards the community and the state in return for a provision of decent basic services. I'm more than happy to live in a social democratic state with relatively high taxes, but in this country the State has broken its side of the social contract for at least the next decade and possibly longer, so why should I feel indebted to it?
    One of the best, and most distressing, posts ever made on p.ie.

You are entirely correct. This rotten Govt has broken the social contract implicit in any relationship between government and governed. They are traitors, not just to Ireland but to the entire concept of representative constitutional democracy.

None of us owe this shower of drunken crooks a damn thing - and anyone in the public sphere that will still obey their orders is complicit in national treachery.

Time to choose sides, kids.

Page 1 of 22 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment