Register to Comment
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALHERO View Post
    Can the Oirechtas not change the law?
    Do you think it is a good idea for the Oireachtas to retroactively change legislation?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    Four years on and no one knows anything.
    You know nothing only because you have chosen not to inform yourself - you prefer to stay ignorant.

Can the Oirechtas not change the law? Austerity would be much easier to swallow if those who made it necessary were punished for their actions/inaction.
    It could, but.

Lack of political will.
    Deep reluctance to see any level of accountability for decisions taken by those who either abdicated their duties or who helped created the mess.

I think the primary reason there is no accountability is because there are too many who don't want someone like Neary turning state's evidence in order to lessen their own bill.

I still think a system of 'plea bargaining' would do far more to clean up corruption in Ireland than any general election with a reform mandate.

It would do away with the need for tribunals for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    He was fishing for mackerel of the pier in clogherhead last week .
    And you seen him there, but he never managed to "fall" in ?

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    He was fishing for mackerel of the pier in clogherhead last week .
    I always maintained that those lot were codding us all along. The net effect is that they're comfortable on their perch while the rest of us are, as the French say, finny.

Quote Originally Posted by conservative green View Post
    Do you think it is a good idea for the Oireachtas to retroactively change legislation?
    In certain instances, yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Tours View Post
    I always maintained that those lot were codding us all along. The net effect is that they're comfortable on their perch while the rest of us are, as the French say, finny.
    You think we have been filletted--all very fishy.

Can the Oirechtas not change the law? Austerity would be much easier to swallow if those who made it necessary were punished for their actions/inaction.
    What would they get him on? The Companies Act seems to be the only one that might bear fruit and I suspect he'd be well outside that. He could certainly make a case for under staffing and being up against a crowd of really cute hoors who ran rings around him and were far more to blame for the actual mess.

As for "finding out what happened", the books, oodles of them, have already been written. Any enquiry, review or investigation will just officially tell what is already abundantly clear.

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    What would they get him on? The Companies Act seems to be the only one that might bear fruit and I suspect he'd be well outside that. He could certainly make a case for under staffing and being up against a crowd of really cute hoors who ran rings around him and were far more to blame for the actual mess.

As for "finding out what happened", the books, oodles of them, have already been written. Any enquiry, review or investigation will just officially tell what is already abundantly clear.
    I'm not sure what they could get him on, wilful collusion? Gross incompetence? Invent something! Most of us have a fair idea what went on but my point is that if it goes unpunished, then it'll happen again and again. We cannot have an untouchable caste of politicians, bankers and developers in the way we have now. We have developers sitting on millions in the States biding their time to get back into the market protected by the Arcane ways of that most anti democratic institution, NAMA. Fingers still has his million to go with his 30million pension pot. McCreevy,Harney, Ahearn, Cowen, Neary et al will not feel the chill of depression this winter despite ruining the lives of many. The hardships being endured the length and breath of the country demand accountability. I don't care how it happens but it must if we are to have any hope as a functional society IMHO.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment