Register to Comment
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree11Likes

Quote Originally Posted by merle haggard View Post
    go away you silly student
    It seems to me that you are nothing but a brain washed commie leftie greenie libloon. Your political philosophy is dictated by Cher, Bono, Mary Robbinus and the Hollywood set.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDoyle View Post
    The USA never slaughtered our people while the UK did. My vote would be for US only and if Ireland ever considered joining the UK, then I would surrender my Irish citizenship.
    Don't allow the past to control our future. My view is that Ireland's place is among the English speaking countries of Britain, USA, Canada,Australia etc. Other countries like the Poland, Italy etc, should be allowed into an equal partnership. The problem is Germany,
    it can never be part of any civilized arrangement. So leave things as they are but bend the EU to towards an Atlantic alliance.

I would nudge Mexico into it too, let Trump sort out the drug gangs. I bet he would .

A Bizarre idea. its getting away from them we should be concentrating on.

Ireland is a vassal state of the US in everything but name.

Our core economic policies are about playing to US MNCs and their desire to have a tax evasion safe harbour.

Ditto migration policies.

Ditto social outlook.

Ditto leadership. Probably indoctrinated, possibly planted.

Quote Originally Posted by clearmurk View Post
    Ireland is a vassal state of the US in everything but name.

Our core economic policies are about playing to US MNCs and their desire to have a tax evasion safe harbour.

Ditto migration policies.

Ditto social outlook.

Ditto leadership. Probably indoctrinated, possibly planted.
    hey you better let the other lads know.
    apparently we are a vassel of the EU too.

so much vasselling so little time

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    hey you better let the other lads know.
    apparently we are a vassel of the EU too.

so much vasselling so little time
    A view as an EU vassal would be complementary, not contradictory.

The EU appears to have been taken over by corporate interests long ago.
    Last edited by clearmurk; 11th July 2018 at 07:11 PM.

Our neutrality is overstated, especially since we recently signed up to PESCO. But there is no doubt that the US is far more militaristic than we are used to, and young Irish would be conscripted.
    On the other hand, I know some who emigrated to the US and had no problem with that. As mentioned, the Irishman will fight for the stars and stripes.

Death penalty? Well I don't know if too many would be bothered by it. If we were talking about somebody who was definitely guilty of some hideous crime, and definitely likely to reoffend, like Larry Murphy, I'd be happy enough to pull the trigger myself. Irish people are generally against the death penalty, but that's because we are used to not having it, and then assuming that gives us the high moral ground. I reckon the Irish could just as easily get used to having it.

Culturally we have probably more in common with the US than Germany. The idea of free movement of workers in the EU is all very well in theory, but how many people do you know that have actually gone to take up a job in Germany? And how many do you know in USA, Canada or Australia? The fact is, we have more in common with these other places.

At the end of the day though, we tend not to decide our own destiny. Others do that for us. At the moment, that is mostly Angela Merkel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment