Register to Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Fir Bolg View Post
    Why do people keep posting these ridicuolus questions. Its akin to the rejoin the UK or rejoin the commonwealth threads. Its not going to happen. Not without serious bloodshed. There is no way on earth this would happen without a significant amount of Irish people opposing it through force of arms. I would support those Irish people.
    me too, its pathetic . Its all look at me, i dont go to mass either...whoop de doo.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Our future lies with Europe.

Europe's future very much depends on its relationship with its immediate neighbours in Eastern Europe and around the Mediterranean sea.

I think it is a better future than that likely to befall America. It is an empire in decline and they don't seem to realise that yet. Empires are expensive things to control and once the money stops flowing all sorts of problems arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fir Bolg View Post
    Why do people keep posting these ridicuolus questions. Its akin to the rejoin the UK or rejoin the commonwealth threads. Its not going to happen. Not without serious bloodshed. There is no way on earth this would happen without a significant amount of Irish people opposing it through force of arms. I would support those Irish people.

If it were to happen would not give a damn about serious blodshed as long as it was of the FF variety who have brought the independance of this country to a point where these questions can be relevant.

In FF's case the only stumbling block would be price, motive is well established.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Allworthy View Post
    Our future lies with Europe.

Europe's future very much depends on its relationship with its immediate neighbours in Eastern Europe and around the Mediterranean sea.

I think it is a better future than that likely to befall America. It is an empire in decline and they don't seem to realise that yet. Empires are expensive things to control and once the money stops flowing all sorts of problems arise.
    The Romans went through decline and rebirth many times before the West eventually fell in 476 AD. In Empire terms, the U.S. is young. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stanley View Post
    If it were to happen would not give a damn about serious blodshed as long as it was of the FF variety who have brought the independance of this country to a point where these questions can be relevant.

In FF's case the only stumbling block would be price, motive is well established.
    These questions are not relevant. FF deserve to get their cuppence (not just for their recent bungling of the economy) but not at the expense of the Irish peoples right to govern themselves. Jumping into bed with America (with all its religious baggage and right wing nutjobs) or with Britain (remember how welll that worked out for us in the past) is a kop out. Always looking elsewhere to find the solution and never focusing on the fact that we must sort out our own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by adrem View Post
    Just a broad question that struck me recently.

I know many people have ideological issues with the US in many areas but equally many people have ideological issues with the EU and even closer to home, with the current government.

Leaving them to one side - from a day to day perspective, would the Irish people be better off as the 51st state of the US than we are as a country within the EU?

Taxation wise - probably not hugely different. As a State we would operate our own budget anyway.

Policy wise - the US gives a lot of freedom to States to effect their own social policies, albeit with some overarching ones (abortion, gun control etc).

Employment - massive opportunity for Irish to travel and work in the US but more importantly as the entry point for US into Europe we would be a prime hub for US companies with EU customers.

Education - no massive change albeit a liklihood that there would be more transfers between US and Irish education facilities.

Health - the system can't get any worse - healthcare costs in the US are very high but I would think that State controls could be used to manage that risk and prevent spill over - the geographical distance would tend to prevent cost migration across State lines

Politics - all the focus would be on State politics - the national element would be gone. But how much of a real loss would that be ?

Statehood - gone. Again from a day to day perspective, would that make much of a difference?

Social identity - the US is far from Homogenous - individual States are just that so maintaining a sense of Irish-ness wouldn't be a major problem (we'd probably get federal assistance !!)

Yes - it's somewhat tongue in cheek but only somewhat. At many (non-idealogical) levels I reckon the current and future generations could actually benefit from our being positioned as a US State.

Any views in P.ie world?
    Is this not an advantage we derive from membership of the EU?

An idiotic idea. How can people even consider an option like that? What is the point of sovereignty after all? I note that America is offered as the solution, why not Britain which is just as absurd a notion?

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    An idiotic idea. How can people even consider an option like that? What is the point of sovereignty after all? I note that America is offered as the solution, why not Britain which is just as absurd a notion?
    Britain would make more sense - at least you could make an argument from the standpoint of the British Isles being a natural geographical/economic unit.

Well with 70% of Irish exports emerging from U.S. companies
    Ireland is an economic colony, and to certain extent
    culturally. I don,t see how anyone can snipe at U.S.
    politicians when you look at the performance of FF FG SF LAB.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    The Romans went through decline and rebirth many times before the West eventually fell in 476 AD. In Empire terms, the U.S. is young. I wouldn't count them out just yet.
    A few more like Trajan and they would still be around today.

and some flowers only bloom for a day. If they are stupid enough to go start a war with Iran their end will not be that far off.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment