Register to Comment
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Knapaghbeg View Post
    Why should we foster it?
    What use is Irish in the World economy?
    I have not heard the IDA endorse Irish for economic puropses.

Irish is the tool of the nationalist fanatic for the purpose of seeking to separate our people form their neighbours in the British Isles.

Haven't our neighbours in the British Isles seperated their people from their neighbours with language, Isn't their nearest neighbour French? So the British should be speaking French.

Silly troll.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by willoughby View Post
    Ok so, I take it small countries like Estonia should drop their languages because it's not practical in a worldly sense( as in it's no value to their economy). Also the Welsh speaking Welsh people should give up speaking their native language because they can only speak it to one another, it's of no value, they can speak English anyway, and they are in a minority(about one quarter oof the population).

Let the people of other nation do as they please. Better if they do not take opportunities open to them for us.

Any Nation that has so much unemployment and emigration as we do needs to review it's language education and use policy!

This was more important than controlling the price of land, building and destruction of our country. Meanwhile we are so poor at learning other languages at the expense of Irish, that it is a hindrance to foreign companies employing Irish young people.

Let the people of other nation do as they please. Better if they do not take opportunities open to them for us.

Any Nation that has so much unemployment and emigration as we do needs to review it's language education and use policy!
    RIght because speaking English has been such a good advantage to us. The biggest advantage of speaking English has been that the Irish can emigrate with ease compared to the likes of Poles or Croats etc.

Also I take it you are talking about resource and funding, should we pull it from language education we should also pull it from other cultural pursuits, such as sport/ St Paddy's day/ the 12th/ art/ song etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    This was more important than controlling the price of land, building and destruction of our country. Meanwhile we are so poor at learning other languages at the expense of Irish, that it is a hindrance to foreign companies employing Irish young people.
    Fair enough, Irish and other languages are struggling at the moment particularly with teaching methods in my opinion but that's not good enough a reason to dump it. As the saying goes you dont know what you have till it's gone and I think that would be true of our almost unique, little used language.

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post

Haven't our neighbours in the British Isles seperated their people from their neighbours with language, Isn't their nearest neighbour French? So the British should be speaking French.

Silly troll.
    We are on a path of language rationalisation. English is our language. Just open the advertising section in any major newspaper and that is what you will deduce. It is the language that our people understand and the one they choose.

We are on a path of language rationalisation. English is our language. Just open the advertising section in any major newspaper and that is what you will deduce. It is the language that our people understand and the one they choose.
    You are British. English is your language.
    And as I said, ye should be speaking French.

I recon we should all learn Chinese, that's the way it's all going anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    You are British. English is your language.
    And as I said, ye should be speaking French.
    ?

You'll have to extrapolate on this one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    On the other hand, it speaks volumes about the state of the Irish language and the delusion some of these people are suffering from. When stuff like this is made a legal requirement, you've already lost the war.
    What are you talking about? A legal requirement so that new residential developments are named in Irish?

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    I don't disagree with that first bit, but forcing people to name developments Tir na Nog is no different. Both two sides of the same rotten coin.
    So you don't believe that developments named in Irish can be named well?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment