Register to Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

If a Traveller Family Moved In Next Door...

...would you move out?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Nope.

Primarily because most traveller family who settle in housing estates are willing to take care of their new properties as they wish to settle.

If they became "the neighbours from hell" then I would get them moved by the relevant authority, which would take time.

A few years ago, my answer would have been so different, but my family over the past number of years befriended a traveller family, who had been calling to the house. We are all now good friends, with some members attending a communion of one of their kids recently.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Depends on how they kept the place. Once they kept the place nice and didn't bother me then I would have no objection. This would go for settled or travellers. Would not move out of my house unless I had very anti-social neighbours and had tried all avenues to fix the problem.

There are Travellers housed in a neighbouring estate to me and many have been involved in anti-social behaviour, including against me personally. I considered moving out last year, but eventually I decided that would mean they had won. The anti-social behaviour involves Traveller children, mostly in their early to mid teens. My settled neighbours have been supportive, and reported someone they had caught in the act of attacking my sliding-door, but probably because he was only 15, he was not charged. It's infurating that the Gardai either cannot, or will not, charge these people. After I had CCTV installed, it has stopped, but the point stands. We need an iron fist on violent criminality and attacks on the property of law-abiding citizens. These scumbags have cost me a fortune.

They moved in three doors down and I didn't move out.

Quote Originally Posted by red-365 View Post
    They moved in three doors down and I didn't move out.
    Thats pretty cool, and are they integrating with you and you with them..I would imagine if you spoke to them, they would be decent enough to you!

FT, if i was you, I would walk down to them and knock on their parents door and explain to them that the kids are causing havoc to you personally, it may just put an end to it.

PS, Like my new signature?

Quote Originally Posted by irish_shrink View Post
    Nope.

Primarily because most traveller family who settle in housing estates are willing to take care of their new properties as they wish to settle.

If they became "the neighbours from hell" then I would get them moved by the relevant authority, which would take time.

A few years ago, my answer would have been so different, but my family over the past number of years befriended a traveller family, who had been calling to the house. We are all now good friends, with some members attending a communion of one of their kids recently.

I think this is a fair point and post. A lot of travellers who want to settle are commited to the settled life and its "ethos". Its the nomadic types who cause most of the grief and terror!

Quote Originally Posted by irish_shrink View Post
    Nope.

Would have been the same when I was younger, but many positive experiences with members of the travelling community have left me with a much better opinion of them than when I used to listen to a lot of groundless anecdotes about them.

There is one family live close to me, not next door, but a little way up the lane in a house on its own and they are the nicest folk you could meet, they arent really 'travellers' anymore, but well settled at this stage. Funny thing is though, the father still has a mobile home which he takes to Europe on holidays, makes him feel 'at home'....... I have no doubt he looks forward to his trips with great relish.....

However, I am fully aware of the problems with travelling people and wouldnt be quick to judge those who would feel ill at ease at the described scenario above.

unfortunately, stereotypes come about, usually for good reason.
    i let a house to some settled travellers (against advice).
    they paid the rent and kept the house spotless for all of 3 weeks until some unknown aquaintance of theirs broke in and burned down the house.
    a couple of years ago, i let the same house to a young nigerian couple.
    that episode ended with them being carted off in a squad car for skimming credit cards.
    lesson learned - travellers and nigerians = bad news

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    There are Travellers housed in a neighbouring estate to me and many have been involved in anti-social behaviour, including against me personally. I considered moving out last year, but eventually I decided that would mean they had won. The anti-social behaviour involves Traveller children, mostly in their early to mid teens. My settled neighbours have been supportive, and reported someone they had caught in the act of attacking my sliding-door, but probably because he was only 15, he was not charged. It's infurating that the Gardai either cannot, or will not, charge these people. After I had CCTV installed, it has stopped, but the point stands. We need an iron fist on violent criminality and attacks on the property of law-abiding citizens. These scumbags have cost me a fortune.
    Sorry to hear the above FT, I'm not surprised by the actions of some members of the travelling community, but just wondered how it all started?

The reason I ask is because I am a pretty positive person and whilst this will only go so far, some people are determined to be annoying, abusive and disruptive no matter, still I cant help feeling that my approach with people, being open, honest and friendly, seems to pay dividends for me as I never experience harrassment or anti social behaviour of any kind and its not like I am some scary person who people wouldnt try it on with, I just seem to be perhaps lucky or perhaps make my own luck?

My advice however, would be an initial friendly approach (and from the sounds of it, I get the impression it may well be a fruitless exercise) and if that doesnt work then hit them with everything at your disposal. I'm all for inclusion, tolerance and respect, but only for those who deserve it, if they are acting the scumbag then I for one have little sympathy for them, partially for the hassle and trouble they are causing you, partially for the type of people like my neightbour who is just trying to live his life without being assumed to being just another troublemaker like your neightbour?

Anyway, best of the luck with the situation, I hope it works out OK in the end for you?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment