Register to Comment
Page 184 of 354 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 3535
Like Tree845Likes
  1. #1831
    Trainwreck Trainwreck is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,054

    Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    The search function is not working, so yes I won't be able to find an example.
    More to the point. Just another one of his semantic games:

    "Here is an expert who contradicts your claim"

    Merc: "She/he isn't an expert"
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #1832
    Mercurial Mercurial is offline
    Mercurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94,178

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    They aren't. Obviously.
    Yes they are. The are both links to dictionaries. Did that fact escape you in your rush to disagree with me? It wouldn't be the first time that instinct has led you to make a fool of yourself.

    The links in one case show users how to cite the dictionary as a source. No upstream source is given. In the second case, no source whatsoever is given for the definition. Both these cases contrast starkly with the article you scathingly referred to as "unsourced" in Wikipedia, which is accompanied by a long list of sources.
    I see in your rush to agree with someone who disagrees with me you didn't realise that I was being asked to define the terms in question, which means that I didn't even need a source - I could have made up any definition I liked, since the point of the request was to understand what I meant by the terms I was using.

    Here are some other things you missed:

    The Wikipedia article contains zero sources for the claims in question. You probably missed this because you just skipped to the end of the article and didn't pay attention to the actual substance (such as it was) of the discussion (such as it was) between trainwreck and myself.

    The Wikipedia article, even taken at face value, doesn't support Trainwreck's actual contention, which was that a straw man argument is one that it irrelevant. As I already pointed out to Trainwreck (which is something else you seem to have missed), the fact that a straw man argument is an irrelevant argument does not entail that a straw man argument is defined as an irrelevant argument. All straw man arguments are irrelevant, but not all irrelevant arguments are straw man arguments.

    You probably know this already, but decided to ignore it because then you wouldn't have had a reason to interject with your usual b*tchy bullsh*t.



    PS - Don't bother reporting this one. Nobody cares.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #1833
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    76,559

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    This is another lie on your part.

    You won't be able to find a single case where I have ever claimed to have superior knowledge to actual experts.
    If ever there were a predictable, self-serving prelude to denying the expertise of people who know better than the poster, this is it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #1834
    Mercurial Mercurial is offline
    Mercurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94,178

    Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    The search function is not working, so yes I won't be able to find an example.
    I'm not asking you to find a direct quote.

    Presumably if you're going to make the claim that you did you can think of at least one example off the top of your head, no?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #1835
    Mercurial Mercurial is offline
    Mercurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94,178

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    More to the point. Just another one of his semantic games:

    "Here is an expert who contradicts your claim"

    Merc: "She/he isn't an expert"
    Given your reliance on Wikipedia above, I wouldn't be so sure you're in a position to determine who is and isn't a reliable expert.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #1836
    Mercurial Mercurial is offline
    Mercurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94,178

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    If ever there were a predictable, self-serving prelude to denying the expertise of people who know better than the poster, this is it.
    Predictable and self-serving?

    You know you're describing yourself, right?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #1837
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    76,559

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Given your reliance on Wikipedia above, I wouldn't be so sure you're in a position to determine who is and isn't a reliable expert.
    You are utterly astounding.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #1838
    Trainwreck Trainwreck is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,054

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Given your reliance on Wikipedia above, I wouldn't be so sure you're in a position to determine who is and isn't a reliable expert.
    Told you all...

    Everyone needs to have all experts official designated as such by Merc. LOLz.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #1839
    Mercurial Mercurial is offline
    Mercurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94,178

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    You are utterly astounding.
    It doesn't take much to astound you, apparently. But thanks for sharing?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #1840
    Mercurial Mercurial is offline
    Mercurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94,178

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Told you all...

    Everyone needs to have all experts official designated as such by Merc. LOLz.
    But there's no one to designate. The claim you cited has no source and no named author.

    As I've pointed out twice now, however, even if the claim was well-sourced, it still wouldn't support your original claim.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment