Register to Comment
Page 3 of 779 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
Like Tree2516Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    I didn't mean to. It was an accident.
    I'd say you planned it well, ya fecker ya!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I think Brazil have a real chance this time much better and organised than the shambles of 4 years ago and of course Germany, France and Spain will surely be thereabouts with Belgium or perhaps Croatia the dark horses but it should be an exciting fairly open tournament all the same.

I must say it will seem strange watching a world cup without the Italians in it 4 times winners and one of the traditional superpowers of world football they haven't had it the best during the past decade but not qualifying for an actual world cup is a real low for such historic giants of the game something is clearly not right there.

Twitter
    @

I think Gareth Southgate has been quite astute in managing expectations thus far. I've long felt that it would be wise for an England manager to dampen expectation rather than hype it up.

England have produced a number of squads capable of winning a world cup in my lifetime but there has always been this raven on the squad's shoulder and I think it can be described in the way of fear.

Fear among the young players of being pilloried in the media afterwards for being the one who made the mistake that cost England.

So they play a stilted cautious game, passing inconsequentially rather than progressively.

The ball becomes a small round danger rather than an opportunity to shine. I think it is psychological with England.

Instead of playing on the narrowest of margins in an effort to win they end up playing the safer odds in not being the one to make a mistake. So they look stilted.

Only twice have I seen an England team playing to full potential- when they hammered Germany and the Netherlands and on both occasions they played their natural game with none of the expectation and therefore the corresponding fear lumped on them.

Southgate is right to say he's going with a young squad and to signal not to expect too much from this tournament. It is about time they tried from a platform of 'let's see what happens' rather than going along with this tabloid pre-tournament nonsense of building them up to expectations of bringing a trophy back.

I’ll be cheering Brazil. The Brazilian girls in town always dress sexy when they go to the pub to watch the games and in general they are very pretty and sexual. Should be good Craic. Must stop comparing their teams to the 1982 one though.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    I must say it will seem strange watching a world cup without the Italians in it 4 times winners and one of the traditional superpowers of world football they haven't had it the best during the past decade but not qualifying for an actual world cup is a real low for such historic giants of the game something is clearly not right there.
    They somehow won the 2006 cup but that masked the fall of the game. Their hooligan problem and a poor economy don’t help.

Twitter
    @

I hope there is a new Pirlo to emerge in this world cup. I do like a Pirlo. Someone who makes the sublime look easy.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    I’ll be cheering Brazil. The Brazilian girls in town always dress sexy when they go to the pub to watch the games and in general they are very pretty and sexual. Should be good Craic. Must stop comparing their teams to the 1982 one though.
    The '82 side was the best team I have ever seen and the game in Barca V Italy, the best game I have ever seen and it broke my heart!

Twitter
    @

Socrates... still my favourite ever Brazilian player. I know Pele and Jairzinho are regarded as the giants but I found Socrates mesmerising.

Think France have a real shout at it this time out.

Dark horses Portugal.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment