Register to Comment
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    That is just so untrue and in fact the opposite of reality. It was with the generation who really lived through the Celtic Tiger that the self-hating Gael really came of age, and it has been that generation which appears hell bent on bringing about the end of the historic Irish Nation. I love reading Liam O'Flatherty, Patrick Pearse, W.B. Yeats and James Connolly in part of because the depth of their love for their people and how that love is uninfected by the evils that often in this fallen poison at least to some extent any Nationalism. Fast forward to today and the views of Cromwell upon the historic Irish Nation wouldn't be out of place on this forum. Something that you said here that greatly disturbed and I really have to warn about was the fact that your husband had the great privilege to be raised in the national language yet you haven't bothered to pass it on to your children, take a second for you own sake to think about the potential consequences of doing, once they come of age and if they have any of the fire of life within them they will absolutely hate him over that (I know I and any of my friends would) and if that doesn't happen with them it will happen among the grand children that hopefully Hashem will give you. Do you really want that? Sometimes I day dream of what my grand children will be like, when I look on my daughter I see such promises for the future despite the fact that she will face most probably a much uglier and evil world than I had to grapple with, that she will always hold dear the Torat Imekha her mum instilled in her and will instil in her turn Torat Imekha into my grand children. What do the likes of Mitsui2 and Toland want to pass unto their kids? Money at the most. I don't wish ill on you which is why for whatever it is worth I strongly advise you to make your husband start teaching the kids of Irish.

OH dear oh dear oh dear. You're funny sometimes. I had a great time in January with a Tariq, an Aladdin, a Mohommed and a Handy.

BTW I believe you're quite partitial to the money yourself, isn't that why you married a wealthy man to give you a splendid life. You certainly spend it like there was no tomorrow.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

No, I would find it offensive if I was called as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Davison View Post
    OH dear oh dear oh dear. You're funny sometimes. I had a great time in January with a Tariq, an Aladdin, a Mohommed and a Handy.

BTW I believe you're quite partitial to the money yourself, isn't that why you married a wealthy man to give you a splendid life. You certainly spend it like there was no tomorrow.
    He proposed to me. My mum in law has said openly that I'm her favourite in-law and if she hadn't approved of me the marriage wouldn't have happened. The reason I was approved was because she judged me hopefully correctly so of instilling Torat Imekha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawdy View Post
    [/B]

...............and................did he even exist at all ?.................
    Of course he did. No snakes. That's more solid proof than they have for their Gawd.

The majority of English people don't use racial slurs about the Irish anymore than the majority of Irish people use slurs against the English. It's the kind of thing that's said by a certain type of person and they are just as likely to be offensive to anyone who isn't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
    Of course he did. No snakes. That's more solid proof than they have for their Gawd.
    what did he say when he drove the snakes out of Ireland?

are you alright in the back there lads

When Irish people use it in an ironic way I find it rather cliched and boring but I don't take offence.
    Other nationalities should never call people a Paddy, Jock, Dago (Diego), Hymie (Chaim), Fritz, Sambo or any other common given name on the basis of their nationalities or ethnicities, because those terms are always used condescendingly and are insulting. It is that simple.

Would those Irish who call Irish citizens from the diaspora "Plastic Paddys" mind being called "Paddys"? Plastic Paddy is intended to be an insult, but I find it an exact definition, and quite humorous

When I meet an Irish person born in Ireland I usually explain that I am a Plastic Paddy, the reaction is sometimes of embarrassment and I reassure them that I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by raetsel View Post
    When Irish people use it in an ironic way I find it rather cliched and boring but I don't take offence.
    Other nationalities should never call people a Paddy, Jock, Dago (Diego), Hymie (Chaim), Fritz, Sambo or any other common given name on the basis of their nationalities or ethnicities, because those terms are always used condescendingly and are insulting. It is that simple.
    If some people want to call themselves Paddies in a proud way, it doesnt bother me, but I put it in the same category as kids calling themselves the Telford Massive, a la Ali G.

I dont call people jokey names based on their ethnicity or nationality, like Frenchie etc. I am aware it is at best patronising and at worst insulting. People dont go round with a sticker on their heads as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawdy View Post
    It`s all in the tone.
    This.

Anything can be an insult, neutral or complimentary depending on how it is said... context, tone of voice, body language and facial expression.

That’s why there are so often misunderstandings in our screen-addicted world where we all communicate via text and emoticons.

“Paddy” can be hugely friendly and welcoming or the vilest of insults depending on intent.

So could “Irish” though.

The trouble now of course is some people love nothing better than being offended and so seek to demonise entire words regardless of context. Gobshytes.

On the flip side, some people deliberately use words in an offensive way and then feign innocence and whine about political correctness. Gobshytes.

And of course both types are different sides of the same grubby coin.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment