Register to Comment
Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree579Likes

"Will no one rid me of this meddlesome Woman?" - Mary McAleese speaks out again

I'm sure some in the Vatican are thinking like poor old Henry II did about Thomas Becket

Christ reduced to ‘misogynistic’ figure by church leaders, McAleese says

Former president Mary McAleese has said she fears the Catholic Church’s hierarchy has “reduced Christ to this rather unattractive politician who is just misogynistic and homophobic and anti-abortion”.

She described Vatican opposition to women priests as “misogynist codology dressed up as theology” and criticised “the patronising platitudes that women have heard from a succession of popes and cardinals”.

Speaking at a press conference in Rome on Wednesday, Ms McAleese also said Pope Francis should visit Newry, Co Down, if he comes to Ireland next August, in the wake of clerical child sex abuse revelations there which led to the recent resignation of the Bishop of Dromore.
    I've had differences of opinion with the woman from Ardoyne in the past, but cannot fault her on this - and she has more balls than most of the clergy and politicians of Ireland .....

South China Morning Post:

Former Irish president Mary McAleese denounces Catholic Church as ‘an empire of misogyny’
    Last edited by Cruimh; 8th March 2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    I'm sure some in the Vatican are thinking like poor old Henry II did about Thomas Becket

I've had differences of opinion with the woman from Ardoyne in the past, but cannot fault her on this - and she has more balls than most of the clergy and politicians of Ireland .....
    She's not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    She's not wrong.
    I love it when she goes into full Maggie Thatcher Mode ..... fearless!

Will they ignore it as trying to rein her in would just make things worse PR wise .....

She was interviewed on the Alex Salmond Show on RT last week and was trully amazing, clear, reasoned, honest. She should stand for President.

Quote Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
    She was interviewed on the Alex Salmond Show on RT last week and was trully amazing, clear, reasoned, honest. She should stand for President.

President of Scotland.

She's spot on. And not for turning.

Just like when the unionist bigots burned her out of her house in their attempt at ethnic cleansing.

Former Irish president Mary McAleese denounces Catholic Church as ‘an empire of misogyny’
    TBH, I always had McAleese down as a Church Conservative.

This is a refreshing change.

One point she made was that he now quite disappointed in Pope Francis, who has not been the agency for change she hoped for.

If you actually *believe* all the rhubarb that she claims to (Resurrection, Virgin Birth, Assumption...) then surely accepting the "rightness" of Patriarchy should be easy?

Twitter
    @

I love it when she goes into full Maggie Thatcher Mode ..... fearless!

Will they ignore it as trying to rein her in would just make things worse PR wise .....
    When were 'they' ever concerned about PR?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    When were 'they' ever concerned about PR?
    Right from the very beginning, with the myth-making New Testament.

Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment