Register to Comment
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Hillmanhunter1 View Post
    They have little choice:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...-low-1.3233625

"Church of Ireland has twice as many students starting ministry studies"
    yes, they've said as much, and with such a shortage they can't really afford to have priests in teaching positions
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Excellent. If the Catholic Church want their pick of the litter, then they can open their bulging wallet.

As an aside, why does the OP call it 'The Dublin Government' do we have an alternative government elsewhere? perhaps we are ruled from the kingdom of heaven or some other nebulous religious delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    I though I'd get in with this now, before someone else does.

The Catholic Church has always had the right to directly appoint priests, nuns and monks and brothers as teachers or principals in its State-funded schools; and with thoseappointed then obtaining the usual taxpayer-funded salaries and benefits, such as pension entitlements.

Catholic school trustees can appoint who they please, so long as they are qualified teachers, with no public competition.

This right goes back to before the establishment of the State and was confirmed in Church-State agreements made as recently as 2015.

But according to this news-report - Church control of employment in schools to be scrapped - Richard Bruton, presumably with the full Cabinet backing him, “has asked officials to ‘immediately rectify matters, so that all school posts are filled by open competition’”.
    "Dublin" Govt you say?

Govt of Ireland you mean?

It's a good start, it's probably smaller impact than we think though.

So the religious school opens it to the public, but applicants I'm sure will be faced with the carefully phrased question of "St Mucky Muck's obviously has a strong ethos and culture. How do you think you'll fit in with that culture, and what do you think you'll bring to our environment". And anyone who doesn't volunteer "Well sher ever since I was baptised under the holy star of St Mucky Muck, I've always dreamed of teaching farming science to good Christian straight kids." will find themselves passed over.

You're opening the role up, I don't see the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    yes, they've said as much, and with such a shortage they can't really afford to have priests in teaching positions
    I have an uncle, aged 81, who is supposed to be retired, but because he enjoys comparatively good health he can't retire.

I do feel sympathy for those good men (and there were many) who had vocations and kept their vows and just wanted to be good priests. They have been cast in the same light as the sexual predators and the thieves.

Twitter
    @

I have an uncle, aged 81, who is supposed to be retired, but because he enjoys comparatively good health he can't retire.

I do feel sympathy for those good men (and there were many) who had vocations and kept their vows and just wanted to be good priests. They have been cast in the same light as the sexual predators and the thieves.
    probably stems from "show me your friends, and I will tell you who you are".

Twitter
    @

Not surprised by a government who are peddling hard a culture of abortion.
    Church still biggest owner of education facilities in the state and no doubt when pushed hard enough will demand large wads of cash if the state wants its secular abortion on tap paradise

Another way of putting that is that thankfully our leaders recognize that good ideas can come from anywhere, and of course it is easier to understand policy initiatives coming from other English-speaking common-law jurisdictions.

You'd perhaps be surprised to learn that this is a two-way street, and that large chunks of Irish primary and secondary legislation have found their way on to the statue books of Canada, Australia and New Zealand (but that may not of course suit your thesis).
    You say large chunks? For example?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    probably stems from "show me your friends, and I will tell you who you are".
    or

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Texal Tom View Post
    Not surprised by a government who are peddling hard a culture of abortion.
    Church still biggest owner of education facilities in the state and no doubt when pushed hard enough will demand large wads of cash if the state wants its secular abortion on tap paradise
    And we can net that against the millions they owe over the whole rape, slavery and murder ring

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment