Register to Comment
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    I agree with you, but then you also highlight the DUP side of things.

You correctly state that Irish ''is as much a symbol as an actual language''.
    Now imagine Irish signposts in Unionist & Loyalist areas.
    What symbol would that represent to those inhabitants ?
    Northern Irish politics is totemic. A Language Act would signify that the state respects the wider Irish culture - not just that associated with the language.

That's why the problem is intractable - it drills to the core of the ancient disagreement.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Northern Irish politics is totemic. A Language Act would signify that the state respects the wider Irish culture - not just that associated with the language.

That's why the problem is intractable - it drills to the core of the ancient disagreement.

They have to move away from this bi-polar mentality.

It's got to the stage that if brexit delivers unity by the back door, the language experts will say it is a victory for them, when a real Irish state should rise above whatever cultures we choose to adopt or drop.

"We'd like to put more money into altnagelvin hospital, but the cost of redoing all the road signs in NI into English, Irish, Polish and Chinese has exceeded our budget for the next 3 years, so could you all go and die quietly in the gaeltacht, warsaw or singapore if that is what you want."

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post

Yes, that's why the SDLP, the greens, alliance and PBP are asking for it too.
    Not forgetting Taoiseach Varadkar and Minister Coveney who also want respect both for their ancestral language
    and for the Republic's political symbolism.
    Last edited by Fun with Irish; 27th December 2017 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post

I chose Galway & Donegal because I assume that's where you've got the highest percentage of people who use Irish on a regular basis.
    Well - certainly the highest percentage of government officials getting paid to do the Cúpla.

Quote Originally Posted by Fun with Irish View Post
    Well - certainly the highest percentage of government officials getting paid to do the Cúpla.
    Oh great this nutcase "Fun with Irish" is back on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Windowshopper View Post
    While I do think there is some DUP poking going on, I think the reason Acht na Gaeilge has got so much traction is that Irish is as much a symbol as an actual language and the DUP's attitude towards it is seen as a stand in to their attitude towards nationalists. It must be really annoying being a nationalist listening to your ancestral language, even if one does not speak it, being disrespected while having to tolerate marches and (in their eyes) other displays of cultural supremacism on an ongoing basis. I suspect that nationalism feels that it signed up to the GFA status quo in good faith, and that the DUP hasn't.
    What the unionists would see in Irish language signs is what they are intended to see, which is "Padraig Pearse Rules OK", meaning, we nationalists don't support the Northern state and we are declaring our loyalty to another one.

Simon Coveney understood this message well, which is why he supported it.

What the unionists would see in Irish language signs is what they are intended to see, which is "Padraig Pearse Rules OK", meaning, we nationalists don't support the Northern state and we are calling for loyalty to another one.

Simon Coveney understood this message well, which is why he supported it.
    Southern Unionist! Now I know the type I am dealing with with you. Or maybe it's just a West Brit/combination between the two. Shudder. Nationalists in Ireland are probably, I think, going to have to put up with a growth in West Britishness in Ireland alongside Irish Nationalism given Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    Oh great this nutcase "Fun with Irish" is back on the site.
    Yes: it's been a long time since we first contemplated the Revival of Irish together. More than a decade I think.

And all that time the number of people using Irish has declined and the amount of symbolic state programs
    have increased.

Yes: it's been a long time since we first contemplated the Revival of Irish together. More than a decade I think.

And all that time the number of people using Irish has declined and the amount of symbolic state programs
    have increased.
    The numbers speaking Irish in Dublin has increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    Southern Unionist! Now I know the type I am dealing with with you. Or maybe it's just a West Brit/combination between the two. Shudder. Nationalists in Ireland are probably, I think, going to have to put up with a growth in West Britishness in Ireland alongside Irish Nationalism given Brexit.
    Try dealing with the point of the argument.

What do YOU think the unionists are meant to think when street are given an Irish version of their names?

I guess we are agreed that the display of Irish is not done for linguistic or functional reasons North or South. It is done as political symbolism.

Hence the question: what does it symbolise politically to a northern unionist?
    Last edited by Fun with Irish; 27th December 2017 at 09:28 AM.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment