Register to Comment
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Quote Originally Posted by USER1234 View Post
    Not only is it unlikely but it would be illegal while irish is the first offical language, english is also an offical language therefore they coudnt refuse to do business in English!

Also it would be highly impractical as most people dont know irish well enough & because of this it would impeade peoples right to what councils are doing on their behalf
    I think you ms understand.

Everybody in Wales is legally entitled to interact with local authorities in Welsh or English.

The change in Ynys Mon concerns the internal language of the council. It was bilingual, it's changing to Welsh only.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    Interesting that you chose Galway as one of your County Councils.

Once upon a time, Galway had a mayor who insisted that people used his name as Gaeilge. It was on his election propaganda and posters, the ballot etc.

He had designs on higher office and ran for the Dáil, still insisting that he be known by his name as Gaeilge. People throughout the constituency of Galway West would expect to be able to converse as Gaeilge with anyone who had insisted that they be called by their ainm Gaeleach. Poor lad hit the doorsteps and had barely a word of Irish...Is maith liom cáca milis. type of thing.

Ended in tears, and an appointment to the Senate courtesy of na Glasraí. That also ended in tears. He was even reduced to posting on here for a while.

So...while there's certainly a chance that certain areas of particular districts in a few counties could (and some even do) conduct their day to day as Gaeilge, I'm not sure that there's much chance that we're going to see it on a county council level.
    I chose Galway & Donegal because I assume that's where you've got the highest percentage of people who use Irish on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    I think you ms understand.

Everybody in Wales is legally entitled to interact with local authorities in Welsh or English.

The change in Ynys Mon concerns the internal language of the council. It was bilingual, it's changing to Welsh only.
    You mean among the workforce ? Would they all be fluent in Welsh ?

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    You mean among the workforce ? Would they all be fluent in Welsh ?
    In Gwynedd yes - an ability to speak Welsh, or at least a readiness to learn - would have been necessary since the council came to existence.

Most of the Ynys Mon workforce, although not all would be Welsh speaking - so they have something of a challenge to put their policy in place over the next few years.

Welsh would be the language normally used in council & committee meetings in both councils, although there is a translation service for those who need it.

Twitter
    @

I chose Galway & Donegal because I assume that's where you've got the highest percentage of people who use Irish on a regular basis.

Be careful what you wish for, there's parts where Polish, Chinese and Brazilian portuguese is "used on a regular basis", much more so than our former language. They pay taxes and are the "new irish".

Even a place like Gort had 1/3 brazilians until the crash, and could have them again. That's a lot more than have spoken irish in gort on a daily basis since the 1800s.

"I like it here, it's quiet, better for the children" - Integration in Ireland's 'little Brazil'

Ask yourself, are the reform-pushers more interested in the language or in real life tax paying people? If it's the language, then you can suspect a touch of th'oul aspergers. Language is for the convenience of people, end of.

The motion passed easily, but it upset some. Ex Tory AM & independent councillor Peter Rogers who moved to a Welsh speaking village 47 years ago & who's children speak Welsh fluently requested that technology be provided to protect him from the language during the debate - video at the bottom of the page.

https://golwg360.cymru/newyddion/cym...biaeth-gymraeg

The motion passed easily, but it upset some. Ex Tory AM & independent councillor Peter Rogers who moved to a Welsh speaking village 47 years ago & who's children speak Welsh fluently requested that technology be provided to protect him from the language during the debate - video at the bottom of the page.

https://golwg360.cymru/newyddion/cym...biaeth-gymraeg
    Will it work like the swear filter on her?

************************ ************************er.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    Will it work like the swear filter on her?

************************ ************************er.
    Maybe it would just return a computer virus to the sender to destroy his system.

Quote Originally Posted by Windowshopper View Post
    While I do think there is some DUP poking going on, I think the reason Acht na Gaeilge has got so much traction is that Irish is as much a symbol as an actual language and the DUP's attitude towards it is seen as a stand in to their attitude towards nationalists. It must be really annoying being a nationalist listening to your ancestral language, even if one does not speak it, being disrespected while having to tolerate marches and (in their eyes) other displays of cultural supremacism on an ongoing basis. I suspect that nationalism feels that it signed up to the GFA status quo in good faith, and that the DUP hasn't.
    I agree with you, but then you also highlight the DUP side of things.

You correctly state that Irish ''is as much a symbol as an actual language''.
    Now imagine Irish signposts in Unionist & Loyalist areas.
    What symbol would that represent to those inhabitants ?

Maybe it would just return a computer virus to the sender to destroy his system.
    Instead of asterisks there will be:

Llwynnddd llannelli fwydd.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment