Register to Comment
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

This Southern Catholic agrees with DUP stance on Irish Language

Ok, before i begin the rant. Just to clarify a few points on my own identity. I am a Southern Catholic, and a proud athiest. My republican credentials are as good as the next fella. Great-Grandad fought the black&tans. I did a couple of stints in the Gaeltacht. Passed Leaving Cert irish, barely...but passed nonetheless. Generally my Leaving Cert grades were good, but i will confess that the extra encumbrance of irish was a tedious distraction. My opinions towards the UK are as to any other country. France, UK , Spain, Germany....let them all do what they wish over there. I have no more allegience to the Queen of England than to the King of Spain. Neither do i have any problem with the identity and leadership of other foreign countries. Ireland is home. Peace is good.

Now, regarding the Irish language. Just a few questions :
    * Who, in my generation, voted for its compulsory University-entry status, its tax-sponging status, its traffic-sign status ?
    * What respect is given to those who choose to not use Irish ?
    * What hope for 'the new irish' and their offspring to learn and thrive in a language that causes a homework headache at the dinner table every evening ?
    * How much money and time is wasted in learning a useless language that i never hear on the streets ?
    * Can i be accused of 'not really being irish' when i represent the vast majority of the population in the fact that i refuse to speak irish, even when spoken to in irish ?
    * Does a cohort of the population refusing to speak English correspond to a ghetto ? Polish, Urdu, Nigerian, Irish....its all Greek to me. Is this divisive to social cohesion ?
    * How can we have a middle-class language revival when all the knackers refuse to speak irish ?
    * How can we have a working-class language revival when all the West-Brits refuse to speak irish ?
    * Is irish language just being used as a stick to beat the Unionists and to remind them of their impending minority status ? will such jingoism revive 'the troubles'. Are you so keen on Irish as to restart the troubles ?

Answers on a postcard . Preferably in a language we all understand.

Irish language in Northern Ireland sees popular revival amid political controversy - World - CBC News
    Last edited by Spirit Of Newgrange; 3rd December 2017 at 07:47 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    Ok, before i begin the rant. Just to clarify a few points on my own identity. I am a Southern Catholic. My republican credentials are as good as the next fella. Great-Grandad fought the black&tans. I did a couple of stints in the Gaeltacht. Passed Leaving Cert irish, barely...but passed nonetheless. Generally my Leaving Cert grades were good. My opinions towards the UK are as to any other country. France, UK , Spain, Germany....let them all do what they wish over there. I have no more allegience to the Queen of England than to the King of Spain. Neither do i have any problem with the identity and leadership of other foreign countries. Ireland is home. Peace is good.

* Who, in my generation, voted for its compulsory University-entry status, its tax-sponging status, its traffic-sign status ?
    * What hope for 'the new irish' and their offspring to learn and thrive in a language that causes a homework headache at the dinner table every evening ?
    * How much money and time is wasted in learning a useless language that i never hear on the streets ?
    * Can i be accused of 'not really being irish' when i represent the vast majority of the population in the fact that i refuse to speak irish, even when spoken to in irish ?
    * Does a cohort of the population refusing to speak English correspond to a ghetto ? Polish, Urdu, Nigerian, Irish....its all Greek to me. Is this divisive to social cohesion ?
    * How can we have a middle-class language revival when all the knackers refuse to speak irish ?
    * How can we have a working-class language revival when all the West-Brits refuse to speak irish ?
    * Is irish language just being used as a stick to beat the Unionists and to remind them of their impending minority status ? will such jingoism revive 'the troubles'. Are you so keen on Irish as to restart the troubles ?

Irish language in Northern Ireland sees popular revival amid political controversy - World - CBC News
    I dont think you need Irish to get into TCD,UL,DCU.

Ok, before i begin the rant. Just to clarify a few points on my own identity. I am a Southern Catholic. My republican credentials are as good as the next fella. Great-Grandad fought the black&tans. I did a couple of stints in the Gaeltacht. Passed Leaving Cert irish, barely...but passed nonetheless. Generally my Leaving Cert grades were good. My opinions towards the UK are as to any other country. France, UK , Spain, Germany....let them all do what they wish over there. I have no more allegience to the Queen of England than to the King of Spain. Neither do i have any problem with the identity and leadership of other foreign countries. Ireland is home. Peace is good.

"Shrill, right wing clown agrees with other right wing clowns" shocker! Next you'll be regaling us with the truly astonishing news that extremist Catholic fascist prats stand shoulder to shoulder with the the fascist prats of the DUP in their outright opposition to abortion and gay marriage.
    You really do need to grow up if you think that your solidarity with the DUP isn't even remotely predictable.
    Are you really that stuck for a spot of trolling that you need to come to the NI board to find it?

Yeh but you're a blueshirt, you hate Ireland.

Seig Heil

You forgot to add 'curry my yogurt for reading'.

Quote Originally Posted by RasherHash View Post
    Yeh but you're a blueshirt, you hate Ireland.

Seig Heil
    You are pro-Breixt but you want the EU and the Irish government to stop a hard Brexit.

Also you haven't a single post in the Irish language section of the form. I know your Holocaust denial activities keep you busy but it would seem you haven't bother to learn the language. So why do you ant to impose it on others?

Last edited by PBP voter; 3rd December 2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raetsel View Post

"Shrill, right wing clown agrees with other right wing clowns" shocker! Next you'll be regaling us with the truly astonishing news that extremist Catholic fascist prats stand shoulder to shoulder with the the fascist prats of the DUP in their outright opposition to abortion and gay marriage.
    You really do need to grow up if you think that your solidarity with the DUP isn't even remotely predictable.
    Are you really that stuck for a spot of trolling that you need to come to the NI board to find it?
    That didn't take long

[/url]
    The sad thing is that before asking a few reasonable questions about the Irish language, you needed to declare your own and your family's loyalties.

Mind you, this still won't stop the Irish language zealots from accusing you of apostasy,

Post Irish Holocaust trauma is strong in the OP.

I think the first step in promoting Irish must be to teach people that languages are not only valuable as tools of communication. The second step should be to teach people about the history of Ireland and the Irish language. Once that it done, the value of maintaining and promoting the language should become apparent.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment