Register to Comment
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

If dumping Irish is so darn popular how come a major party has never proposed making it optional at school? (afaik)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsReasonable View Post
    If dumping Irish is so darn popular how come a major party has never proposed making it optional at school? (afaik)
    the parallel here is Catholicism. In the 20th Century all major parties and institutions were very catholic. Any deviation from this was, literally, sacrilege. Then the dams burst and the rest is history.

The next revolution will be a major rejection of an old dead language. Multicultural, 21st Century, post-troubles Ireland's kids don't watch the Nuacht. Soon the Dams will burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I think the first step in promoting Irish must be to teach people that languages are not only valuable as tools of communication. The second step should be to teach people about the history of Ireland and the Irish language. Once that it done, the value of maintaining and promoting the language should become apparent.
    I agree that learning a second language is a valuable way of broadening one's horizons, and of course young kids have brains which are far far more adept at doing that than adults are. Problem is, Irish is just one of a multitude of potential second languages out there. (And hands up here, my own kids went to a Gaelscoil)

As for your second point, what if having taught people about the history etc, the value of promoting the language is actually not apparent? Then what? Indeed, is that not pretty much where we have arrived at? After the best part of a century of teaching the populace about the history, the populace are just not that convinced about it's value (as evidenced by their stubborn refusal to speak it).

Then there is what I see as the slightly more sinister undertone to the current row in the North, where the language is being used as a blatant badge of sectarian identity. Devotees of the language can protest all they like, but that in effect is what it has become there.

I blame Peig Sayers - I still have nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    the parallel here is Catholicism. In the 20th Century all major parties and institutions were very catholic. Any deviation from this was, literally, sacrilege. Then the dams burst and the rest is history.

The next revolution will be a major rejection of an old dead language. Multicultural, 21st Century, post-troubles Ireland's kids don't watch the Nuacht. Soon the Dams will burst.
    The analogy is very tenuous. The catholic church ruled with an iron fist. Ruined some people's lives. There's really no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by antidistinctlyminty (ADM) View Post
    I blame Peig Sayers - I still have nightmares
    Peig Sayers. FFS. Harmless. Did you do Integration by Parts? That gives me nightmares. And that is truly useless to 99.9999999% of the population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

The analogy is very tenuous. The catholic church ruled with an iron fist. Ruined some people's lives. There's really no comparison.
    You must never have met my Irish teacher!

FG proposed making Irish at Leaving Cert level in their 2011 election manifesto.

Surely lots of Brits living in ireland ( plus the Poles, Romanians, Hungarians, Syrians etc ) would vote for a party that let their kids off the Compulsory irish hook. Seems fair enough. If i lived in Wales, i would not like to see my kids forced to learn Welsh. And my ability to help them with homework would be zero. And i am too busy with the rest of my life to be going off and learning a difficult and obscure language.

Are there votes in dumping Irish ?

Quote Originally Posted by devoutcapitalist View Post
    FG proposed making Irish at Leaving Cert level in their 2011 election manifesto.
    Ah yes, I seem to remember that now. Fair enough. What happened that policy?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment