Register to Comment
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Like Tree93Likes

Quote Originally Posted by diaspora-mick View Post
    Curricula my dear fellow ... don't they teach ye any Latin at all these days ...
    It's an acceptable variant, especially in American English.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    Ok, before i begin the rant. Just to clarify a few points on my own identity. I am a Southern Catholic, and a proud athiest. My republican credentials are as good as the next fella. Great-Grandad fought the black&tans. I did a couple of stints in the Gaeltacht. Passed Leaving Cert irish, barely...but passed nonetheless. Generally my Leaving Cert grades were good, but i will confess that the extra encumbrance of irish was a tedious distraction. My opinions towards the UK are as to any other country. France, UK , Spain, Germany....let them all do what they wish over there. I have no more allegience to the Queen of England than to the King of Spain. Neither do i have any problem with the identity and leadership of other foreign countries. Ireland is home. Peace is good.

Now, regarding the Irish language. Just a few questions :
    * Who, in my generation, voted for its compulsory University-entry status, its tax-sponging status, its traffic-sign status ?
    * What respect is given to those who choose to not use Irish ?
    * What hope for 'the new irish' and their offspring to learn and thrive in a language that causes a homework headache at the dinner table every evening ?
    * How much money and time is wasted in learning a useless language that i never hear on the streets ?
    * Can i be accused of 'not really being irish' when i represent the vast majority of the population in the fact that i refuse to speak irish, even when spoken to in irish ?
    * Does a cohort of the population refusing to speak English correspond to a ghetto ? Polish, Urdu, Nigerian, Irish....its all Greek to me. Is this divisive to social cohesion ?
    * How can we have a middle-class language revival when all the knackers refuse to speak irish ?
    * How can we have a working-class language revival when all the West-Brits refuse to speak irish ?
    * Is irish language just being used as a stick to beat the Unionists and to remind them of their impending minority status ? will such jingoism revive 'the troubles'. Are you so keen on Irish as to restart the troubles ?

Answers on a postcard . Preferably in a language we all understand.

Irish language in Northern Ireland sees popular revival amid political controversy - World - CBC News
    The problem isn't regarding the relevance of the Irish language, it's regarding the implementation of previously agreed upon Irish language policy, being held to ransom by the DUP insistence on giving slang/Ulster Scots the same priority, just to be dicks, (also their refusal to acknowledge same sex couples). Catholic or not, this is Ireland and there's an Irish language. You'll just have to accept that.
    Should we move to language we do hear on the streets; 'Story boss, I've a pain in me gee with Brexit'?
    We could also argue to replace english with text speak, let's do a poll among the millennials and the like, or should we set some standards?

Southern 'Catholic', you'll support an institution that covered for pedophiles and have the belief a man in sandals up in the clouds made everything, but supporting the existing, actual Irish language is too far? OMG

P.S: Get your ecker off the diner table!
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 4th December 2017 at 05:25 PM.

Ok, before i begin the rant. Just to clarify a few points on my own identity. I am a Southern Catholic, and a proud athiest. My republican credentials are as good as the next fella. Great-Grandad fought the black&tans. I did a couple of stints in the Gaeltacht. Passed Leaving Cert irish, barely...but passed nonetheless. Generally my Leaving Cert grades were good, but i will confess that the extra encumbrance of irish was a tedious distraction. My opinions towards the UK are as to any other country. France, UK , Spain, Germany....let them all do what they wish over there. I have no more allegience to the Queen of England than to the King of Spain. Neither do i have any problem with the identity and leadership of other foreign countries. Ireland is home. Peace is good.

* Who, in my generation, voted for its compulsory University-entry status, its tax-sponging status, its traffic-sign status ?
    * What hope for 'the new irish' and their offspring to learn and thrive in a language that causes a homework headache at the dinner table every evening ?
    * How much money and time is wasted in learning a useless language that i never hear on the streets ?
    * Can i be accused of 'not really being irish' when i represent the vast majority of the population in the fact that i refuse to speak irish, even when spoken to in irish ?
    * Does a cohort of the population refusing to speak English correspond to a ghetto ? Polish, Urdu, Nigerian, Irish....its all Greek to me. Is this divisive to social cohesion ?
    * How can we have a middle-class language revival when all the knackers refuse to speak irish ?
    * How can we have a working-class language revival when all the West-Brits refuse to speak irish ?
    * Is irish language just being used as a stick to beat the Unionists and to remind them of their impending minority status ? will such jingoism revive 'the troubles'. Are you so keen on Irish as to restart the troubles ?

Irish language in Northern Ireland sees popular revival amid political controversy - World - CBC News
    What is the Mexican equivalent of "Lundy!"?

Snáithe frith-Ghaeilge eile ón duine seo.

Quote Originally Posted by Calculusmadeeasy View Post
    Anyone can speak Irish oop north if they want to. There's no need for an act promoting a dead language.

In any case Ireland is increasingly becoming multicultural. Dare I say that there may be more compelling reasons for teaching slavic languages in Irish schools.
    That argument is beyond lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    we let the irish language become a kinda elitist thing
    How is it elitist when Irish schooling was first championed by working class people in Ballymun and Clondalkin?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    What is the Mexican equivalent of "Lundy!"?
    In this case the tried and tested epithet of "West Brit" would appear to be the most applicable ...

Twitter
    @

OP

////

... Are you so keen on Irish as to restart the troubles ?

If you go back to the language movement in 1900-10, it was all about being different and making everyone feel that we are part of a distinct irish race.

Plus the control freaks wanted a language with indecent words removed to maintain our pure spirit etc., so it was about social control, with set dancing, GAA, trad music and the like thrown in, not just the beauties of an ancient language. It was a prop and no more.

And so, unsurprisingly, the beauties of the ancient language - such as the clo gaelach alphabet - have been swept away.

I like all my cultural goods, but I would never want to force them down anyone's throat, and expect them to pay for the privilege.

Now we know that there never was an Irish race, and we don't go along with the cultural social control any more, so the language dispute in NI is a petty dispute. Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast, along with golf, throwing frisbees and macrame, just don't expect the rest of us to pay for your enthusiasm.

Your free to define what being irish means for you and if that means not having the Irish language part of it then that's valid and your very much entitled to say so and try to persuade people to view their Irish identity construct the same way.

I have a different Irish identity to yours but I respect yours and celebrate it as part of modern Ireland.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment