Register to Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    Twitter
    @

That leonardo has a lot hanging on his name...

Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

She da bawss

The supposed value seems to ultimately detract from the artwork and the artist. It becomes noteworthy only due to the cost of the sale less interesting then is the actual life and work of Da Vinci which should somehow be considered private.

Quote Originally Posted by Dearghoul View Post
    I thought for a bit you might be our esteemed Eagle of the Ninth redux, but as she'd never use the phrase 'I'm no expert but...' you're off the hook;

the one I loved as an example of modern art market hooey, was D. Hirsts diamond
    skull.

Unable to flog it himself he formed a 'consortium' to shell out.

In that way the price of his other work didn't take a nosedive as investors got sniffy.

His reason for being instrumental in this cosortium? Well he wanted an input into how it was to be displayed around the world!
    Jesus, what did I ever do to you for you to insult me like that?

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    Paying that much money for paint that looks like something is B.S. Any old fool that paints a bit could do sunflower (Van Gogh ), the Mona Lisa isn't impressive either.
    I'm probably in a minority, but I found the Sistine chapel ceiling very underwhelming. Maybe it was because I'd seen so much of that kind of stuff in the course of a few days, perhaps if I'd seen it first I'd have felt differently, but I prefer his sculptures.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    I remember the episode with the lost Caravaggio "The taking of Christ" when it turned up in Dublin in the early 90s. There were all sorts of reports about copies and works by apprentices and many institutions/museums claiming that they had the original work. In the end, it started to resemble "The taking of the piss".

Paying a half a billion dollars for a painting, even if its real, is really taking the piss.
    It could have been a Russian oligarch who'd run out of stuff to buy, I mean it's not like another one is likely to turn up soon and in terms of piddling contests with your rich peers it's kind of hard to outdo.

Leonardo was a bit of a fake himself.
    His paintings are grossly over rated in terms of real artistic value.

We're he painting today nobody would pay much attention to his ersatz effeminate naturalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
    The painting Salvator Mundi purported to be by Leonardo Da Vinci sold for a world record 450 million last week but doubts continue to surround the identity of the artist who painted it.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...salvator-mundi

There is no doubt that the high money art market is primarily concerned with storing and handing down wealth and possibly even money laundering.

Regardless of whether Da Vinci painted the original black and white picture, the coloured 'restored' version is a completely different painting of a man with a different bone structure.
    The highest authority should be invoked to decide this one. He already has a fake "Renwah" in Trump Tower to show his credentials.

Yes, let The Donald decide.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    I'm probably in a minority, but I found the Sistine chapel ceiling very underwhelming. Maybe it was because I'd seen so much of that kind of stuff in the course of a few days, perhaps if I'd seen it first I'd have felt differently, but I prefer his sculptures.
    Who are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    $450,000,000 for a painting, that cannot be confirmed as a genuine work....

Mind boggling.
    Money laundering?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment